How many humans have lived on Earth?

• Thread starter Zdenka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary: I looked into this at some point. If I recall correctly the answer is somewhere around 100 billion, which was quite a bit higher than my first guess.This is what I'd do, if I didn't have a full day of errands to get to, starting in 15 minutes, ending with me mum's birthday tonight...find a decent graph of the known human population curve, determine the function it approximates (starting with 100 years ago, and going back), extrapolate to 1 million years ago, divide the "years" axis by 15 or 20 years (assumed historical life span), integrate (count up the "area under the curve"). Then add the population of the last century, which has been following a
Found some!

"If mineral-rich water percolates down through the sediments, the fossil formation process has an even better chance of preserving our ancient animal. Some of the minerals stick to the particles of sediment, effectively gluing them together into a solid mass. These minerals make an impact on our original trilobite as well. Over the course of millions of years they dissolve away the outer shell, sometimes replacing the molecules of exoskeleton with molecules of calcite or other minerals. In time the entire shell is replaced leaving rock in the exact shape of the trilobite. That is fossil formation at work."
http://www.fossils-facts-and-finds.com/fossil_formation.html

"Over millions of years the original shell is completely replaced by the minerals and what remains is a rock-like copy of the original shell."
http://www.discoveringfossils.co.uk/whatisafossil.htm

Over millions of years, the remains are completely replaced by the minerals, leaving a rock-like copy.
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Fossil

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Found some!
Thank you. This answers my question where did you get the idea.

Dave, you have been very patient and professional during this exchange. I must commend your efforts.

I agree with Chi, Dave you are da man! Now, I understand when they dig up a 'dinosaur bone' it's actually not their bones but the fossilized casing around it. Cool stuff! :))

I bet it is none Earth tastes like sh---.

Zdenka said:
I agree with Chi, Dave you are da man! Now, I understand when they dig up a 'dinosaur bone' it's actually not their bones but the fossilized casing around it. Cool stuff! :))
Actually, it's not a "casing around it", it's within the space where the fossil was. So it takes on the exact dimensions, sometimes down to the finest details. It is analagous to a "lost wax" molding technique.