Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many imperfections could one tolerate and still truly love someone

1. Apr 20, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Be true to yourself here please, perfection is in the eye of the beholder,
    but how many imperfections could you tolerate and still truly (love) some
    one?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2007 #2
    A mother need not worry about the number of imperfections of her children, if she is like most mothers and loves them unconditionally. I tend to think love kinda blinds you from someone's imperfections. It can even make that person you love somehow unique, in your eyes. Over all I suppose it has to do with the level of love and the depth of imperfections that make or break love.

4. Apr 20, 2007 #3
    No one can answer you that. It depends on the situation and the imperfection.

5. Apr 20, 2007 #4
    Every time I think of how stupid my wife is, I remember that she married me and that improves my estimation of her genius.

6. Apr 20, 2007 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That doesn't make sense. Unless you mean "she married me therefore she is a very intelligent person"; in which case it doesn't fit into the theme of the thread. Care to expand?

7. Apr 20, 2007 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't tolerate any imperfection. Thats why I'm hooked on one woman who is perfect.

8. Apr 20, 2007 #7
    You found her?! Man has been looking for her for thousands of years! :surprised

9. Apr 20, 2007 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It would really depend on the imperfection. I am more likely not to date someone with a bad attitude than someone with a physical imperfection. Like zenparticle said, usually it's the imperfections that become the most endearing.

I could NOT date someone stupid.

10. Apr 20, 2007 #9
    Agreed.

I heartily disagree. It speaks to the OP's remark that perfection is in the eye of the beholder. I'm the beholder, I see my wife do a dozen stupid things a day. (never mind that I do thirteen). But if I take the blinders off, I behold more than the day to day irritations. In this way, I can tolerate a great deal. To the beholders of imperfections, I say "look again."

11. Apr 20, 2007 #10
    For certain this is what Douglas Adams was refering to in his Hitchhiker series when the hypercomputer Deep Thought was asked what the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is. When Deep Thought gave the answer 42 it obviously meant that is how many imperfections we can tolerate in someone that we love.

That's good to know. I should be perfectly safe because I can't remember more than 5 or 6 things simultaneously for any length of time. My question to Deep Thought would be "Can you tell me what my phone number is?" Then again, I don't have 7.5 million years to wait for an answer, so I'll just get the card I have it written on from my wallet and read it.

This should be a warning. Don't ever make a list of things you hate about people you love.

12. Apr 20, 2007 #11
    Hear, hear.

13. Apr 20, 2007 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And how much you love that person already. It's a lot easier to overlook imperfections, or not see them as imperfections at all, if you're already in love than if you aren't.

14. Apr 20, 2007 #13
    just I like what you say

15. Apr 20, 2007 #14

Lisa!

Gold Member

Very well said!:approve:

16. Apr 20, 2007 #15

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think I took what you wrote in a manner in which it wasn't intended. What you really mean is "my wife may do stupid things, but I ignore them because I love her, and because I can see past them." I read your original comment to mean "since my wife has married then she must be intelligent"-- it is this that I thought was rather egotistic and off-topic.

Apologies for the misunderstanding!

17. Apr 20, 2007 #16

wolram

Gold Member

I have a chance :smile:

No i do not :cry:

18. Apr 20, 2007 #17

wolram

Gold Member

Could you date some one with say, volcanic achne ?

19. Apr 20, 2007 #18
    Depends on how much money they had! A few million could make a face look clear as a baby's you know what. Ok, ok... I'm kidding. If the person had a great personallity zits would not matter to me, but I am a woman so we are not as harsh about "looks" as most men.. I think..

20. Apr 21, 2007 #19

wolram

Gold Member

Wow, another lady on PFs, that is just so good, there should be more,
    but alas you guys just will not come out of the woodwork.

21. Apr 21, 2007 #20
    This is something that I never liked about myself because I hate it when people do it to me. Yet, a large part of what first attracts me to a woman is her appearance. That is only short-lived though. After the first few minutes of talking with someone my opinion of them can change drastically. I have no interest in a mean-spirited woman regardless of how good she looks. And the girl with volcanic acne might seem like someone that I would like to get to know better. Forming a physical relationship with the latter would take more time for all those little, meaningless imperfections to seem not so imperfect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?