How many kg of ice must be dropped to make Tf= 22.7C?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
madison222s
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An insulated beaker with neglible mass contains .3kg of water at a temp of 78.6 C. How many kg of ice at -19.6 C must be dropped into the water to make Tf= 22.7C?
Specific heat for water= 4190 J/kgK
specific heat for ice= 2100 J/kgK
heat of fusion for water= 334kJ/kg

Homework Equations


Q=mc(Tf-Ti)
Q=mL

The Attempt at a Solution


Q1 = bring ice to 0 C
  • Q=micec(Tf-Ti)
  • Q=mice(2100 J/kgK)(0-19.6)
  • Q= 41160mice
Q2 = melt ice (phase change)
  • Q=mL
  • Q=mice(334000 J/kg)
Q3= cool down water
  • Q=mwaterc(Tf-Ti)
  • Q=(.3kg)(4190 J/kgK)(22.7 - 78.6)
  • Q=-70266.9 J
Q1+Q2+Q3=0
41160mice + 334000mice + (-70266.9)=0
375160mice= 70266.9
mice = .187kg

This answer isn't correct. What did I do wrong or what did I miss? I'm thinking maybe I missed another Q but I don't know what it could be.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
madison222s said:

Homework Statement


An insulated beaker with neglible mass contains .3kg of water at a temp of 78.6 C. How many kg of ice at -19.6 C must be dropped into the water to make Tf= 22.7C?
Specific heat for water= 4190 J/kgK
specific heat for ice= 2100 J/kgK
heat of fusion for water= 334kJ/kg

Homework Equations


Q=mc(Tf-Ti)
Q=mL

The Attempt at a Solution


Q1 = bring ice to 0 C
  • Q=micec(Tf-Ti)
  • Q=mice(2100 J/kgK)(0-19.6)
  • Q= 41160mice
Q2 = melt ice (phase change)
  • Q=mL
  • Q=mice(334000 J/kg)
Q3= cool down water
  • Q=mwaterc(Tf-Ti)
  • Q=(.3kg)(4190 J/kgK)(22.7 - 78.6)
  • Q=-70266.9 J
Q1+Q2+Q3=0
41160mice + 334000mice + (-70266.9)=0
375160mice= 70266.9
mice = .187kg

This answer isn't correct. What did I do wrong or what did I miss? I'm thinking maybe I missed another Q but I don't know what it could be.
Remember, once the ice melts, the liquid from this mixes with the liquid already in the beaker.

The final temperature of 22.7 °C must be reached by all of the liquid in the beaker.
 
SteamKing said:
Remember, once the ice melts, the liquid from this mixes with the liquid already in the beaker.

The final temperature of 22.7 °C must be reached by all of the liquid in the beaker.
Then would Q3 have to include both the masses?
 
madison222s said:
Then would Q3 have to include both the masses?
Yep. You can't separate the melt water from the warm water already in the beaker when the ice was dropped in.
 
SteamKing said:
Yep. You can't separate the melt water from the warm water already in the beaker when the ice was dropped in.
So then its
Q3=(mice+mwater)c(Tf-Ti)
=(.3kg + mice)(4190)(22.7-78.6)
=(.3kg + mice)(-234221)
= -70266.3 - 234221mice

And then add this Q3 to the others and set =0?
 
madison222s said:
So then its
Q3=(mice+mwater)c(Tf-Ti)
=(.3kg + mice)(4190)(22.7-78.6)
=(.3kg + mice)(-234221)
= -70266.3 - 234221mice

And then add this Q3 to the others and set =0?
Be careful here.

The warm water in the beaker is being cooled from 78.6 °C to 22.7 °C.
The melt water is being warmed from 0 °C to 22.7 °C.

Your equations should reflect this.
 
SteamKing said:
Be careful here.

The warm water in the beaker is being cooled from 78.6 °C to 22.7 °C.
The melt water is being warmed from 0 °C to 22.7 °C.

Your equations should reflect this.

So what I really need is 2 extra equations then?
 
madison222s said:
So what I really need is 2 extra equations then?
No, nevermind. Just one. For the ice water. Q4= micecice(22.7-0)
 
madison222s said:
No, nevermind. Just one. For the ice water. Q4= micecice(22.7-0)
Remember, the ice has already melted. cice should be cwater.
 
SteamKing said:
Remember, the ice has already melted. cice should be cwater.
Oh of course. Ok I got it, thanks!