How Many Moles of BaCO3 Dissolve in Water Given Kc?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Not a Wrench
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chem Equilibrium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
Not a Wrench
Messages
22
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Excess BaCO3 is placed in a container containing 5L of pure water. Given the following info:
BaCO3 (s) ↔ Ba2+ + CO3 2- and Kc = 5.7E-6
how many moles of BaCO3 dissolve?

Homework Equations


Kc=(Ba2+ )(CO3 2- ) = 5.7E-6

The Attempt at a Solution


solved for x to get .002387 moles/5L which is incorrect. Dividing by 5L gives me .000477 moles. The correct answer is .012 and I am unsure what I have done wrong. It seemed simple enough. Could someone tell me what to do?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
0.002387 is not number of moles.
I forgot to add my last step but I know. It's the moles per liter. If I divide by 5 it gives me .000477 moles which is also not correct.
 
Not a Wrench said:
.000477 moles

No, it is not moles. Check your units.

Randomly juggling numbers is NEVER a good approach to solving problems.
 
Borek said:
No, it is not moles. Check your units.

Randomly juggling numbers is NEVER a good approach to solving problems.
Then what is x supposed to be? I was under the impression that the number by which it BaCO3 decreases is equal to the x that each of the products increases by.
 
So you are solving for x not knowing what it is? That's randomly juggling numbers, I told you it doesn't work.

You have calculated something in your first post. What it was? Can you post your whole solution?
 
Borek said:
So you are solving for x not knowing what it is? That's randomly juggling numbers, I told you it doesn't work.

You have calculated something in your first post. What it was? Can you post your whole solution?
Borek said:
So you are solving for x not knowing what it is? That's randomly juggling numbers, I told you it doesn't work.

You have calculated something in your first post. What it was? Can you post your whole solution?
Yeah, all I did was calculate 5.7E-6 = x2 and solved for x which got me to .002387. Isn't its units M/5L because the container contains 5L of water?
 
Not a Wrench said:
Isn't its units M/5L

No, that's not how units work. Units don't contain numbers (or, if anything, we assume all numbers to be equal to 1). Besides, typically by M we denote molar concentration (which has its own units, mol/L ← an important hint here!), not number of moles.

Not a Wrench said:
5.7E-6 = x2

What is x intended to mean in this equation?
 
Borek said:
No, that's not how units work. Units don't contain numbers (or, if anything, we assume all numbers to be equal to 1). Besides, typically by M we denote molar concentration (which has its own units, mol/L ← an important hint here!), not number of moles.
What is x intended to mean in this equation?
The Kc equation contains (Ba2+ )(CO32- ) and they both gain x per the ice chart so therefore Kc = x2
 
Borek said:
And what you mean by (Ba2+) (or (CO32-))?
Those are the products in the equilibrium. But I figured it out, anyways. I was dividing by 5L of water when I should have been multiplying by 5L because I needed to eliminate that 5L in the denominator and get moles by itself!
 
Not a Wrench said:
Those are the products in the equilibrium.

These are CONCENTRATIONS. And concentration has units of mol/L. Per ONE liter, not per 5 liters.

When you divided by 5 L you got the result in mol/L2 units - these don't make sense, but you have never checked so you were not able to spot the mistake.
 
Borek said:
These are CONCENTRATIONS. And concentration has units of mol/L. Per ONE liter, not per 5 liters.

When you divided by 5 L you got the result in mol/L2 units - these don't make sense, but you have never checked so you were not able to spot the mistake.
I know, thank you for the hint.