How to calculate the solubility of AgCl in a solution containing NaCl?

In summary: AgCl.In summary, to find the mass of AgCl that will dissolve in 1 L of water containing 0.0144 moles of NaCl and with a Ksp of 1.7 x 10^-10, the common ion effect is taken into account and an ICE table is used to set up the equilibrium. After solving for x and converting to grams, the final result is 1.8 x 10^-6 g/L. However, there may be a discrepancy in the formula weight used for AgCl, so it is important to double check calculations for accuracy.
brake4country

Homework Statement

What mass of AgCl will dissolve in 1 L of water containing 0.0144 moles of NaCl. Ksp = 1.7 x 10^-10

Homework Equations

Ksp = [x][x] and ICE table

The Attempt at a Solution

So, the common ion effect is taking place here and the equilibrium taking place is:
AgCl(s) ↔ Ag+ + Cl-

Since excess Cl- will be present from the NaCl, the Na+ is just a spectator ion.

ICE table:
AgCl(s) ↔ Ag+ + Cl-
x 0 0.0144 M
-x x x
0 x 0.0144 + x

Ksp = [Ag+][Cl-] = 1.7 x 10^-10

(x)(0.0144 + x) = 1.7 x 10^-10

I assume that I can eliminate the x in the parentheses because it would be very small, thus:
0.0144x = 1.7 x 10^-10
x = 1.2 x 10^-8 mol/L
Converting to grams gives me 1.8 x 10^-6 g/L

I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind checking to see if my steps are accurate. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you used for molar mass of AgCl? I got a slightly different result.

I used 144 g/mol. I will recheck my math.

Yes, x = 1.2x10^-8 mol/L
Thus, (1.2x10^-8 mol/L)(144 g/L) = 1.8x10^-6 g/L

brake4country said:
(1.2x10^-8 mol/L)(144 g/L) = 1.8x10^-6 g/L

No matter how many times you will write it, it won't get correct. Sorry.

Wait! The steps are more important! Can I get any advice on how I am approaching these problems?

Your approach is OK, the final result is not.

Borek is right, recheck your formula wt.

What is solubility?

Solubility refers to the ability of a substance, known as the solute, to dissolve in another substance, called the solvent, to form a homogenous mixture.

How is solubility measured?

Solubility is usually measured in terms of the amount of solute that can be dissolved in a given amount of solvent at a specific temperature and pressure.

What is mass dissolved?

Mass dissolved is the amount of solute that has successfully dissolved in a given amount of solvent. It is usually expressed in units of mass, such as grams or moles.

How does temperature affect solubility?

For most substances, solubility increases as temperature increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the solvent molecules to break apart the bonds holding the solute particles together.

What factors can affect solubility?

In addition to temperature, pressure, and the nature of the solute and solvent, other factors that can affect solubility include the presence of other substances in the solution, such as acids or bases, and the physical properties of the solute, such as particle size and shape.