How Many Moles of NO2 and SO2 Are in the Mixture?

In summary, the given problem involves a sample containing only NO2 and SO2 with a total pressure of 120 torr and a partial pressure of NO2 of 43 torr. Using the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, and solving for n for each gas, we get 3.1 x 10-3 moles of NO2. However, the book provides a different answer of 1.9 x 10-3 moles. After further calculations, it was discovered that there was an error in manipulating the equations, leading to the incorrect answer. This was resolved with the help of the forum.
RedemistiDeus

Homework Statement

A sample containing only NO2 and SO2 has a total pressure of 120 torr. Measurements show that the partial pressure of NO2 is 43 torr. If the vessel has a volume of 800.0 ml and the temperature is 22.0°C, how many moles of each gas are present?

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it using the equation above by solving for n for each gas (using their given pressure).
For the n of NO2, I had the answer 3.1 x 10-3 (using n = PV/RT).
But the book provides a different answer for it which is 1.9 x 10-3.

My question is I would like to know how my answer turned to be incorrect. I don't know any other possible methods of solving this than the ideal gas law.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect you have either an arithmetic mistake and/or a mistake in units.

Please post the details of your calculations.

Book answer is correct.

Okay guys, I got it. I had an error in manipulating the equations. Thank you PF for helping me resolve the problem!

RedemistiDeus said:
Okay guys, I got it. I had an error in manipulating the equations. Thank you PF for helping me resolve the problem!

I'm curious as to how you arrived at the correct answer. Could you show your work?

Related to How Many Moles of NO2 and SO2 Are in the Mixture?

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of a gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. What are the units of the ideal gas law?

The units of the ideal gas law depend on the units used for each variable. Generally, P is measured in atmospheres (atm), V in liters (L), n in moles (mol), R in joules per mole per Kelvin (J/mol*K), and T in Kelvin (K).

3. What are the assumptions of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law assumes that the gas particles are in constant, random motion and that they do not interact with each other. It also assumes that the volume occupied by the gas particles is negligible compared to the volume of the container they are in.

4. Can the ideal gas law be applied to all gases?

No, the ideal gas law is only applicable to gases that behave ideally, meaning they follow the assumptions mentioned above. Real gases, on the other hand, may deviate from the ideal gas law at high pressures or low temperatures.

5. How is the ideal gas law used in real-world applications?

The ideal gas law is used in various scientific and engineering fields, such as chemistry, physics, and thermodynamics. It is used to predict the behavior of gases in different conditions and is often used in the design and operation of industrial processes, such as in the production of fuels and chemicals. It is also used in weather forecasting and in the study of Earth's atmosphere.