How Many Moles of NO2 and SO2 Are in the Mixture?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
RedemistiDeus
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A sample containing only NO2 and SO2 has a total pressure of 120 torr. Measurements show that the partial pressure of NO2 is 43 torr. If the vessel has a volume of 800.0 ml and the temperature is 22.0°C, how many moles of each gas are present?

Homework Equations



PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to solve it using the equation above by solving for n for each gas (using their given pressure).
For the n of NO2, I had the answer 3.1 x 10-3 (using n = PV/RT).
But the book provides a different answer for it which is 1.9 x 10-3.

My question is I would like to know how my answer turned to be incorrect. I don't know any other possible methods of solving this than the ideal gas law.
Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect you have either an arithmetic mistake and/or a mistake in units.

Please post the details of your calculations.
 
Okay guys, I got it. I had an error in manipulating the equations. Thank you PF for helping me resolve the problem!
 
RedemistiDeus said:
Okay guys, I got it. I had an error in manipulating the equations. Thank you PF for helping me resolve the problem!

I'm curious as to how you arrived at the correct answer. Could you show your work?