How many questions do you have a burning desire to know the answer to

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: Why does my laptop keep overheating? Try unplugging it and letting it sit for a while, then plug it back in and see if that helps.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
How many questions do you have a burning desire to know the answer to? ask them here, you may go away unhappy though.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the best way to get rid of nose hair?

How may entropy be reversed?
Why do some people ask questions on the forums, after stating that they are not well read on the topic they asked about and then proceed to poorly argue with the answers someone took the time and effort to be helpful?
How is your finger?
a*d^x+e*b^x=c solve for x
Are friends electric?
How can we get more scientists, engineers and teachers into government roles?
How can I inspire more people to learn?

In all seriousness, some of those I would really like to have the answers for.

Enjoy!

wolram said:
What is the best way to get rid of nose hair?

Just grab a bunch and tear away.

The subject of burning questions reminds me of the opening stanza of The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock:

LET us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question….
Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
Let us go and make our visit.

charmar said:
how may entropy be reversed?

insufficient data for meaningful answer.

(edit: bah, the forum software won't let me enter that in all-caps. :frown:)

wolram said:
How many questions do you have a burning desire to know the answer to? ask them here, you may go away unhappy though.

Where've you been, Woolie?

And when are you coming back?

wolram said:
How many questions do you have a burning desire to know the answer to?

At least 42

lisab said:
Where've you been, Woolie?

And when are you coming back?

I have never left, i log on to PFs in my lucid moments :biggrin:

I've always wanted to know more about the sources of Universal constants beyond "they're just there".
And what would be the best way to hollow out my roommate's potatoes?

Who is Ted Mosby's wife?

WannabeNewton said:
Who is Ted Mosby's wife?

Easiest question ever.

Mrs Mosby

JonDE said:
Easiest question ever.

Mrs Mosby

Holy ****. That makes so much sense!

JonDE said:
Easiest question ever.

Mrs Mosby

Buahaha!

wolram said:

Let's see, I know how life arose on Earth (from scratch basically), know why math describes Nature so well (cut from same cloth), why man and ape share 98% DNA but yet so different (catastrophe theory), how consciousness arises (emergence from non-linear dynamics), the purpose of life (none), if God exists (of course not), is there life outside Earth (of course), and "why" the Universe got started (pre-existence encountered critical-point).

But I'm still puzzled by what causes life to go from simple to complex so I guess that's what I have left to know.

Last edited:
What have I got in my pocket?

A train is heading north, its smoke is blowing south. How many pancakes does it take to cover a dog house?

What does Jimmy have in his pocket?

Drakkith said:
A train is heading north, its smoke is blowing south. How many pancakes does it take to cover a dog house?

Kate Upton.

Why doesn't the Comedy Channel show the presidential debates?

Pengwuino said:
What does Jimmy have in his pocket?

Huuuuum, depends on the size of his pocket.

what is love

Borg said:
Why doesn't the Comedy Channel show the presidential debates?
I thought they were on the Comedy Channel...

kepler94 said:
what is love

Baby don't hurt me!

Love is like a toffee, it either disolves in your mouth or sticks to your teeth.

I have many questions but these are the most important:

1. How do girls think.
2. Who am I and who are you?
3. I have infinite more questions, and before you say I can't have infinite questions, when I find the answers to current ones then I end up with more.

Why does my laptop keep overheating?

I hope that'a not a burning question, literally.

lisab said:

Sounds like the air inlet of the fan under the laptop could use the vacuum cleaner for a few seconds. The result may be spectacular.

lisab said:

If it's been more than a couple of years, spray compressed air through the fan vents. You should get a lot of dust and a cooler running computer.

lisab said:

Over use, the poor thing is probably exhausted. :biggrin:

What happened to D.B. Cooper?

three

Jim Kata said:
three

What is your name?
What is your quest?
What is the capital of Assyria?

Perhaps those are your [STRIKE]five[/STRIKE] three questions?

zoobyshoe said:
The subject of burning questions reminds me of the opening stanza of The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock:

LET us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question….
Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
Let us go and make our visit.

My favorite poem!:!)

Charmar said:
What is the capital of Assyria?

Assur! Had to google it.

I'll ask a simple question:

Could you explain, in detail, how to build a space-craft? I prefer you explain it in layman terms.

<h2>1. How do scientists determine which questions to pursue?</h2><p>Scientists use a variety of methods to determine which questions to pursue. Some may be inspired by previous research or observations, while others may be guided by current theories or gaps in knowledge. Ultimately, scientists prioritize questions that have the potential to advance their field of study and contribute to the greater understanding of the world.</p><h2>2. How do scientists go about finding answers to their burning questions?</h2><p>Scientists use the scientific method, a systematic approach to answering questions and solving problems. This typically involves formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. Collaboration with other scientists and utilizing advanced technology and techniques also play a crucial role in finding answers.</p><h2>3. Can scientists ever truly find all the answers?</h2><p>Science is an ever-evolving field, and there will always be new questions to explore and answers to uncover. While scientists may make significant discoveries and advancements, there will always be more to learn and understand about the world around us.</p><h2>4. How do scientists handle conflicting or inconclusive results?</h2><p>Conflicting or inconclusive results are a normal part of the scientific process. Scientists carefully analyze and interpret their data, and if there are discrepancies, they may repeat experiments or adjust their methods to try and resolve the issue. In some cases, conflicting results may lead to new questions and avenues of research.</p><h2>5. How do scientists balance their own curiosity with the ethical implications of their research?</h2><p>Ethical considerations are a crucial aspect of scientific research. Scientists must ensure that their studies are conducted in an ethical manner and that any potential risks or harm to participants or the environment are minimized. This may involve obtaining informed consent, following strict guidelines and regulations, and regularly evaluating the potential ethical implications of their work.</p>

1. How do scientists determine which questions to pursue?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine which questions to pursue. Some may be inspired by previous research or observations, while others may be guided by current theories or gaps in knowledge. Ultimately, scientists prioritize questions that have the potential to advance their field of study and contribute to the greater understanding of the world.

2. How do scientists go about finding answers to their burning questions?

Scientists use the scientific method, a systematic approach to answering questions and solving problems. This typically involves formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. Collaboration with other scientists and utilizing advanced technology and techniques also play a crucial role in finding answers.

3. Can scientists ever truly find all the answers?

Science is an ever-evolving field, and there will always be new questions to explore and answers to uncover. While scientists may make significant discoveries and advancements, there will always be more to learn and understand about the world around us.

4. How do scientists handle conflicting or inconclusive results?

Conflicting or inconclusive results are a normal part of the scientific process. Scientists carefully analyze and interpret their data, and if there are discrepancies, they may repeat experiments or adjust their methods to try and resolve the issue. In some cases, conflicting results may lead to new questions and avenues of research.

5. How do scientists balance their own curiosity with the ethical implications of their research?

Ethical considerations are a crucial aspect of scientific research. Scientists must ensure that their studies are conducted in an ethical manner and that any potential risks or harm to participants or the environment are minimized. This may involve obtaining informed consent, following strict guidelines and regulations, and regularly evaluating the potential ethical implications of their work.