Is infinity the answer of all question that we cannot answer?

• Thread starter sadaronjiggasha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary: because the word "knowledgeable" is a compound word, made up of two separate words: "knowledge" and "able."
sadaronjiggasha
TL;DR Summary: Is infinity the answer of all question that we can not answer?

If I ask a scientist how big our universe is? He will say infinite. If i ask how small anything can be? Will scientist say infinitely small ? As our visual limitation or device limitation we might not be able to see most smallest fundamental object or energy that can not be measured. So will be the answer is infinit or we don't know or we may never know?

• Skeptical
Likes phinds and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
sadaronjiggasha said:
If I ask a scientist how big our universe is? He will say infinite.
Then he's wrong. The correct answer is, "We don't know. It is very large, possibly infinite, but we don't know."

sadaronjiggasha said:
If i ask how small anything can be? Will scientist say infinitely small ?
No, as the size of fundamental particles is not actually well defined, despite what you may believe. As far as I'm aware, a fundamental particle like an electron can be 'localized' to volume of space of any size no matter how small, but claiming that this means that an electron is infinitely small is very problematic.

sadaronjiggasha said:
As our visual limitation or device limitation we might not be able to see most smallest fundamental object or energy that can not be measured. So will be the answer is infinit or we don't know or we may never know?
The answer is that we don't know and will likely never know.

Likes dlgoff, Vanadium 50, mcastillo356 and 3 others
So always the answer is "we don't know" and more painfully "we may never know" :(

sadaronjiggasha said:

If I ask a scientist how big our universe is? He will say infinite. If i ask how small anything can be? Will scientist say infinitely small ? As our visual limitation or device limitation we might not be able to see most smallest fundamental object or energy that can not be measured. So will be the answer is infinit or we don't know or we may never know?
No.

Likes topsquark
sadaronjiggasha said:
A reductio ad absurdum:
Q: Is there an afterlife?
A: Infinity.

Likes mcastillo356, sadaronjiggasha and topsquark
sadaronjiggasha said:
So always the answer is "we don't know" and more painfully "we may never know" :(
Ah but that's the sort of thing that drives Research!

-Dan

Likes sadaronjiggasha and Demystifier
Research may help us to know closer but not close enough. May be we have to be happy, thinking that where we have reach now. Happy with the reality and what we have and not to worry about what we don’t have and what we can not achieve.

sadaronjiggasha said:
Research may help us to know closer but not close enough. May be we have to be happy, thinking that where we have reach now. Happy with the reality and what we have and not to worry about what we don’t have and what we can not achieve.
What do you mean by ”enough”? There’s always going to be more to discover, and anyone who has been the parent of a five-year-old is going to be familiar with the infinite regression of “Why?” questions.

Likes sadaronjiggasha and topsquark
Yes I am agree that we will discover more but may be we can't find how big our universe is, where it end? Or does it ends?

sadaronjiggasha said:
Most of the Engineers and Research oriented Physicists I've met seem to be driven by the challenge of the statement "You can't do that." And just because we can't answer a question now doesn't mean that we can't discover something and suddenly be able to find the answer.

Who knows? We might be able to answer the question of how big the Universe is in 50 years. It all depends on the discoveries made between now and then. (Yes, I'm a "never give up" kind of guy.)

-Dan

Likes DennisN and sadaronjiggasha
Yes I am agree with you, "hope" keep us alive :)

sadaronjiggasha said:
Yes I am agree with you, "hope" keep us alive :)
I hold out little or no hope for the future of the human race, but I don't expect to drop dead anytime soon.

Likes topsquark and sadaronjiggasha
More questions without answers:

Likes sadaronjiggasha
@Demystifier I saw the video, very knowledgeable. I wish everyone has big heart like universe. Some narrow people always hold you back. They can't go beyond their imagination. Very sad :(.

sadaronjiggasha said:
@Demystifier I saw the video, very knowledgeable. I wish everyone has big heart like universe. Some narrow people always hold you back. They can't go beyond their imagination. Very sad :(.
Question: why is there an "e" before the "a" in knowledgeable?

Answer: infinity!

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50, BillTre and berkeman
Aaand, that's a good place to tie off this thread (so it doesn't continue on to infinity...). Thanks folks. :smile:

Likes BillTre and DaveE

1. Is infinity the ultimate answer to all questions that we cannot answer?

No, infinity is not necessarily the answer to all questions that we cannot answer. Infinity is a concept that represents something that has no end or is limitless. It is not a specific answer to a question, but rather a concept that can be used to describe something that is endless or boundless.

2. Can infinity be used to explain the unknown or unexplainable?

In some cases, infinity can be used to explain the unknown or unexplainable. For example, infinity can be used in mathematics to represent numbers that are infinitely large or infinitely small. However, it is not a catch-all answer for everything that we cannot explain, as there may be other factors at play.

3. Is infinity a scientific concept or a philosophical concept?

Infinity is both a scientific and a philosophical concept. In science, infinity is used to describe mathematical concepts such as infinite series and limits. In philosophy, infinity is often used to contemplate the concept of eternity and the infinite nature of the universe.

4. Can infinity be proven or disproven?

No, infinity cannot be proven or disproven. It is a concept that exists in mathematics and philosophy, but it cannot be physically measured or observed. While we can use infinity in our calculations and theories, it is ultimately an abstract concept that cannot be proven or disproven.

5. Is infinity a real or imaginary concept?

Infinity is a real concept in the sense that it is used in mathematics and can be applied to real-world situations. However, it is also an abstract concept that cannot be physically observed or measured. So while it is not imaginary, it is not entirely tangible either.