1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses How many semesters of undergrad chem for phd in physics

1. Aug 2, 2016 #1
    Schools I am looking at only require one semester of inorganic for their BS program. Is this enough if one wants to go to grad school down the road?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2016 #2

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

For grad school in physics? It will depend on the sort of physics you do, and the particular requirements of any grad school you want to go to.

I did no undergraduate chemistry, and it hasn't been a problem in terms of admissions. Due to the kind of physics I do (experimental low energy nuclear physics) there have been situations where I regretted not having done more chemistry, but what I have needed to know is pretty basic, I have had no problems picking it up since I did highschool chemistry.

However, if you were doing theoretical high energy physics you'd probably never need your chemistry knowledge. If you were to do experimental material science, a good understanding of chemistry would be fairly crucial. Basically, it depends!

4. Aug 2, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I took one class in college, which was actually taught out of the materials science department. I did fine. As it happens, later I needed to become an expert in organic polymer chemistry, but there was no way to predict this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted