How many semesters of undergrad chem for phd in physics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Orson
Messages
67
Reaction score
5
Schools I am looking at only require one semester of inorganic for their BS program. Is this enough if one wants to go to grad school down the road?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For grad school in physics? It will depend on the sort of physics you do, and the particular requirements of any grad school you want to go to.

I did no undergraduate chemistry, and it hasn't been a problem in terms of admissions. Due to the kind of physics I do (experimental low energy nuclear physics) there have been situations where I regretted not having done more chemistry, but what I have needed to know is pretty basic, I have had no problems picking it up since I did high school chemistry.

However, if you were doing theoretical high energy physics you'd probably never need your chemistry knowledge. If you were to do experimental material science, a good understanding of chemistry would be fairly crucial. Basically, it depends!
 
I took one class in college, which was actually taught out of the materials science department. I did fine. As it happens, later I needed to become an expert in organic polymer chemistry, but there was no way to predict this.