Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many universes in multiverse?

1. Jul 20, 2011 #1
    So, provided that the multiverse does in fact exist, are there an infinite number of universes in this multiverse or just a large amount? I've heard that the number is infinite and I've also heard the number is around 10^10^10^7. Also, if the number of universes is finite, how many universes are there, or if the multiverse is infinite, does that mean that any probability based situations could be dissmissed as coincidence as a result of an infinite number of chances for such a situation to occur?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2015 #2
    I wrote and published a theory on the subject recently. Although I use the term "universum" instead of "multiverse". It's a mixture of the words "universe" and "sum". Well hard to say how many but I would advise you to read it since you like the subject.

4. Sep 18, 2015 #3

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That depends on the theory that contains multiverses eg many worlds, eternal inflation etc etc. For the ones I am aware of it's very very large - for all practical purposes infinite - but not actually infinite. There may be some that are actually infinite - but I am not aware of them.

Thanks
    Bill

5. Sep 18, 2015 #4
    So I guess "Transfinite" a concept proposed by Georg Cantor would by definition fit this perfectly.

6. Sep 18, 2015 #5
    According to my-go-to Professor in New Zealand on Quantum Mechanics matters:
    ... so if MWI is correct, there'd be an infinite number of universes containing the various alignments of atomic magnets.

7. Sep 18, 2015 #6
    I was under the impression that there was only a finite number of configurations within a finite/bounded space? Hence the Poincare recurrence theorem.

8. Sep 18, 2015 #7
    None of the answers are true, the multiverse theory/theories are flawed.

9. Sep 18, 2015 #8

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Thread locked for moderation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook