How many universes in multiverse?

• Thread starter t-dvty-prjct
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiverse
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a multiverse and the number of universes within it. The theories mentioned suggest a very large, but not infinite, number of universes, and there may be some that are actually infinite. The concept of "transfinite" is also mentioned in relation to the infinite possibilities within quantum mechanics. The conversation ends with a discussion on the flawed nature of multiverse theories.
t-dvty-prjct
So, provided that the multiverse does in fact exist, are there an infinite number of universes in this multiverse or just a large amount? I've heard that the number is infinite and I've also heard the number is around 10^10^10^7. Also, if the number of universes is finite, how many universes are there, or if the multiverse is infinite, does that mean that any probability based situations could be dissmissed as coincidence as a result of an infinite number of chances for such a situation to occur?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wrote and published a theory on the subject recently. Although I use the term "universum" instead of "multiverse". It's a mixture of the words "universe" and "sum". Well hard to say how many but I would advise you to read it since you like the subject.

That depends on the theory that contains multiverses eg many worlds, eternal inflation etc etc. For the ones I am aware of it's very very large - for all practical purposes infinite - but not actually infinite. There may be some that are actually infinite - but I am not aware of them.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
That depends on the theory that contains multiverses eg many worlds, eternal inflation etc etc. For the ones I am aware of it's very very large - for all practical purposes infinite - but not actually infinite. There may be some that are actually infinite - but I am not aware of them.

Thanks
Bill

So I guess "Transfinite" a concept proposed by Georg Cantor would by definition fit this perfectly.

Likes White_Wolf
According to my-go-to Professor in New Zealand on Quantum Mechanics matters:
A good example of this is a macroscopic magnet. A macroscopic magnet is formed from very many microscopic magnets, i.e., the magnetic atoms from which the magnetic material is formed. When the magnet is hot, all the little atomic magnets are randomly aligned, so the macroscopic magnet is not magnetized. If we cool things down, eventually a temperature is reached at which all the little atomic magnets line up with one another, so the macroscopic magnet is then magnetized. This lining up can take place in any direction; this, there are infinitely many possible alignments of the atomic magnets (physical configurations). Within quantum mechanics we can have a superposition of all those possibilities.
... so if MWI is correct, there'd be an infinite number of universes containing the various alignments of atomic magnets.

StevieTNZ said:
According to my-go-to Professor in New Zealand on Quantum Mechanics matters:

... so if MWI is correct, there'd be an infinite number of universes containing the various alignments of atomic magnets.

I was under the impression that there was only a finite number of configurations within a finite/bounded space? Hence the Poincare recurrence theorem.

None of the answers are true, the multiverse theory/theories are flawed.

Likes Hybrid
Thread locked for moderation.

1. How do we know that there are multiple universes in the multiverse?

There is currently no concrete evidence or proof of the existence of other universes within the multiverse. The concept of multiple universes is based on theories and models in physics and cosmology, such as the inflationary theory and string theory.

2. Is the multiverse theory supported by any scientific evidence?

As mentioned before, there is currently no definitive scientific evidence for the existence of multiple universes. However, some theories and models in physics and cosmology, such as the cosmic inflation theory and quantum mechanics, support the idea of a multiverse.

3. How many universes are there in the multiverse?

The exact number of universes in the multiverse is unknown and is a subject of ongoing debate and research. Some theories suggest an infinite number of universes, while others propose a finite number. It is also possible that there is only one universe in the multiverse.

4. Are all the universes in the multiverse identical?

There is no way to know for sure, but it is unlikely that all the universes in the multiverse are identical. Different universes may have different physical laws, constants, and initial conditions, leading to different outcomes and possibilities.

5. Can we ever prove the existence of other universes in the multiverse?

It is currently not possible to prove the existence of other universes in the multiverse since we do not have the technology or means to observe or access them. However, continued advancements in technology and further research may provide more insights into the multiverse theory in the future.