Probability, observers and the multiverse

JuneSpring25
TL;DR Summary
Are there probability arguments for a multiverse based on the existence of conscious observers?
Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place!

I have a question about probability and conscious observers. Aside from other arguments for and against a multiverse, does the idea that a multiverse could contain a vast number of consicous observes make it more likely, given that we find ourselves existing as conscious observers?

I feel like something is wrong with that argument but I can't say why. Supposing life only exists for a relatively brief time in this universe (again leaving aside arguments for how long life might actually continue) does the fact that we are conscious observers make it more likely that we find ourselves conscious and observing because there is a multiverse and there are many / limitless opportunities for conscious life to arise?

Another way of looking at this relates to the Boltzmann Brain problem. Again, I'm not looking at other arguments for and against Boltzman Brains (being a cognitively unstable idea, self-defeating argument etc), I just want to think about it as a thought experiment around probability. The central argument for us being boltzmann brains is that, supposing BBs can exist in an ongoing inflationary scenario, over vast amounts of time there would be vastly more Boltzmann brains than normal observers. However, I've never heard it put the other way round - that because was are conscious observers, this in itself mean we're more likely to be in a universe where BBs exist because then there would vastly more consicous observers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Conscious observers have nothing to do with the multiverse theories. Why do you think they would/should and why would the universe care?

JuneSpring25 said:
TL;DR Summary: Are there probability arguments for a multiverse based on the existence of conscious observers?

Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place!

I have a question about probability and conscious observers. Aside from other arguments for and against a multiverse, does the idea that a multiverse could contain a vast number of consicous observes make it more likely, given that we find ourselves existing as conscious observers?

I feel like something is wrong with that argument but I can't say why.
I think these probabilistic arguments are deeply flawed. Consider this:

Suppose, for the sake of argument, that 99.9% of chess games played every year are played between two computers - assume there are loads of projects round the world where computers play millions of games against each other every day. If you and I sit down to play a game of chess, does that mean there's a 99.9% chance that we are computers?

Likes phinds
If the OP is referring to the 'measurement problem' inherent in theories of quantum interpretations such as Copenhagen that appear to require an observer, the multiverse and many worlds interpretations (MWI) of quantum foundation theories do not require an observer.

What is the multiverse theory in physics?

The multiverse theory in physics suggests that there are multiple universes existing parallel to each other. These universes may vary significantly from one another in terms of physical laws, constants, and the overall structure. The theory arises from interpretations of quantum mechanics, particularly the many-worlds interpretation, which posits that all possible outcomes of quantum measurements are physically realized in some "world" or universe.

How does probability relate to the multiverse theory?

In the context of the multiverse, probability is used to explain the likelihood of different events occurring in separate universes. Each universe in the multiverse could potentially represent different outcomes of a probabilistic quantum event. Thus, what might be improbable in one universe could be common in another, depending on the initial conditions and the laws governing each universe.

What role do observers play in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, observers play a crucial role in the collapse of the wave function, a process where a quantum system ceases to be in a superposition of states and assumes a definite state. Some interpretations, like the Copenhagen interpretation, suggest that it is the act of measurement by an observer that causes this collapse. However, other interpretations, such as the many-worlds interpretation, do not require a special role for observers, as all possible outcomes are realized across different branches of the multiverse.

Can we ever observe or prove the existence of other universes in the multiverse?

Currently, it is highly challenging to observe or prove the existence of other universes directly due to the limitations in our technology and the fundamental nature of our universe. The multiverse theory often relies on indirect evidence or theoretical constructs rather than empirical evidence. Some physicists propose that certain cosmic or quantum phenomena could potentially provide clues about the existence of other universes, but these ideas remain speculative and are a topic of ongoing research and debate.

What implications does the multiverse theory have for understanding reality?

The multiverse theory significantly expands our conceptual understanding of reality by suggesting that our universe is just one of potentially an infinite number of universes. This has profound implications for understanding the nature of existence, the uniqueness of our physical laws, and the concept of determinism. Philosophically, it challenges our notions of causality, existence, and the structure of the cosmos, possibly providing new perspectives on why our universe has the properties it does.