How Many Waves Does an MP100 Miss in 5 Seconds at 10 SPS?

• Thread starter jnimagine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data Waves
In summary: Yuk. How about this. The sampling is way undersampling, and if it's exactly synch'ed with the waveform, you will get a DC level out of the undersampler. So you miss all of them. That's what I would say if I was held down and had to take my best guess. Your thoughts?
jnimagine
If your MP100 is recording at 10 sps and your input analog signal is at 100Hz, how many waves would the data acquisition miss in a 5 s recording?
a. 50
b. 1000
c. 25
d. 500
e. 100

This means that you're sampling every 10 cycles. Then you miss 9/10. so once it goes through 100 cycles (100Hz) 90 waves are missed. Then in 5s, isn't it 450 cycles that would be missed? But that's not in the choice...
A little help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
jnimagine said:
If your MP100 is recording at 10 sps and your input analog signal is at 100Hz, how many waves would the data acquisition miss in a 5 s recording?
a. 50
b. 1000
c. 25
d. 500
e. 100

This means that you're sampling every 10 cycles. Then you miss 9/10. so once it goes through 100 cycles (100Hz) 90 waves are missed. Then in 5s, isn't it 450 cycles that would be missed? But that's not in the choice...
A little help please?

Yeah, you miss 90 per second for 5 seconds, so I'd say 450 missed cycles also. What turned out to be the answer?

berkeman said:
Yeah, you miss 90 per second for 5 seconds, so I'd say 450 missed cycles also. What turned out to be the answer?

well that's the problem... because 450 is not in the choices.. :(
what do you think the best choice is...?

jnimagine said:
well that's the problem... because 450 is not in the choices.. :(
what do you think the best choice is...?

Yuk. How about this. The sampling is way undersampling, and if it's exactly synch'ed with the waveform, you will get a DC level out of the undersampler. So you miss all of them. That's what I would say if I was held down and had to take my best guess. Your thoughts?

The problem is that the info given does not include real numbers and tolerances. An undersampled waveform can look pretty dang weird. I use a signal generator and an oscilloscope at an undersampled time base setting as one of my interview questions at my work...

Based on the information provided, it appears that the correct answer would be 500 waves. This is calculated by taking the sampling rate of 10 samples per second and multiplying it by 5 seconds, giving a total of 50 samples. However, since the input signal is at 100Hz, this means that for every second, 100 waves are occurring. Therefore, in 5 seconds, 500 waves would occur, but only 50 would be recorded due to the sampling rate. This means that 450 waves would be missed in a 5 second recording.

Related to How Many Waves Does an MP100 Miss in 5 Seconds at 10 SPS?

1. What is data acquisition for waves?

Data acquisition for waves is the process of collecting, storing, and analyzing data related to waves in the ocean or other bodies of water. This can include measurements such as wave height, frequency, and direction, as well as other environmental factors that may affect wave behavior.

2. How is data acquired for waves?

Data can be acquired for waves through various methods, such as using buoys, satellites, or remote sensing technologies. Buoys are often equipped with sensors that collect data on wave characteristics, while satellites can capture images of larger areas of water. Remote sensing technologies, such as radar or lidar, can also be used to collect wave data from a distance.

3. What are the benefits of data acquisition for waves?

Data acquisition for waves allows scientists to better understand and predict ocean conditions, which can be useful for various industries such as shipping, fishing, and offshore energy production. It also helps in monitoring and mitigating the effects of natural disasters such as tsunamis and hurricanes.

4. How is data from waves analyzed?

Data from waves is typically analyzed using statistical and mathematical methods to identify patterns and trends. This can involve using computer models to simulate wave behavior, as well as visualizing data through graphs and charts. Analysis of wave data can also involve comparing it to historical data to identify changes and trends over time.

5. How is data acquisition for waves used in research?

Data acquisition for waves is a crucial component of oceanography research. By collecting and analyzing data on wave behavior, scientists can gain a better understanding of the ocean and its role in global climate and weather patterns. This research can also inform the development of new technologies for wave energy production and ocean conservation efforts.