1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many ways can 12 balls be arranged into 4 different rows

1. Apr 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In how many ways can 12 balls be arranged into 4 different rows with each row having
    at least one ball
    (a) if the balls are identical?
    (b) if there are 6 identical red balls and 6 identical blue balls?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a)
    Put 4 balls in each row.
    Remaining 8 balls left.
    Label each row A, B, C, D
    A + B + C + D = 8 balls
    Ans: 11C3 = 165 (Correct)

b) (Unsure how to do)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

You have to look at your first answer and divide out but the number of arrangements.

As an example, if I have abcd and I want to know all the words I can make the answer is 4!

But if the d letter is an a then I have to divide my count by 2 a1 b c a2 is the same as a2 b c a1 right?

So in your what must you do?

4. Apr 23, 2016 #3

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Are you sure about this? Divide out? Intuitively, I would say there will be more options because not all balls are identical. I'm not sure though so sorry if I'm mistaken.

5. Apr 24, 2016 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

May someone please explain to me why the answer to (a) is 11choose3? I agree with it, but I got the answer by way of a nested sum, namely ##\sum\limits_{n=1}^{9}\sum\limits_{m=1}^{n}m## ... I'm curious, what perspective brings out 11choose3?

6. Apr 24, 2016 #5

Math_QED

Homework Helper

7. Apr 24, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

@Math_QED's link is certainly applicable, but here's a more intuitive approach.
    We have n identical objects to place in k distinct buckets. We can place the objects in a line and represent the buckets by drawing boundaries between the objects at k-1 places. We can then think of this arrangement as n+k-1 things, of which some n are the objects. Each possible distribution of the n objects into the k buckets corresponds 1-1 with a decision about which n of the n+k-1 things are objects. Thus the number of distributions is the number of ways of choosing n things from n+k-1 things.

8. Apr 24, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Agreed.

9. Apr 25, 2016 #8
    The way I solved it is very similar.

Assume that you place them in one line and you have 3 brackets (To divide it into 4 groups) So you pretty much have 13 places to place the brackets... However, I cant place them at both ends because it has to have 1 for each group. So 13-2 = 11
    Now choose 3 places from 11
    By
    11c3

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted