How much biology as a computer/electrial engineer?

In summary: I don't think that either of those required any biology, but it would be beneficial for some engineering majors if they did. However, I think that most colleges will only require a semester or two of biology if you plan on majoring in either CS or EE.
IntegrateMe
How many biology courses on average should i expect to take if i plan on majoring in either computer or electrical engineer? I know every college has their own requirements but do i need to go really in depth with bio or will an AP biology credit get biology out of the way as far as computer/electrical engineering goes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably no more than the standard requirements are mandatory, but there are lots of interesting CS and EE problems in biology so for some specializations and applications of CS and EE it may be useful (for instance a well-known biology/CS problem is finding good algorithms for protein folding).

IntegrateMe said:
I know every college has their own requirements but do i need to go really in depth with bio or will an AP biology credit get biology out of the way as far as computer/electrical engineering goes?
At my school, bio isn't even suggested, much less required, for either major. I doubt it's required at any other schools, as the majors are insanely packed as is. Look at the schools you're applying to, but even AP bio may be more than you need. (But chemistry is required for the majors, so you may want to look into taking AP chem.)

at my school no biology is needed for EE, you do take Chemistry as EE's are required to take material science as well as a class in introductory solid state physics; the CS majors are required to take a life science of some kind though

IntegrateMe said:
How many biology courses on average should i expect to take if i plan on majoring in either computer or electrical engineer? I know every college has their own requirements but do i need to go really in depth with bio or will an AP biology credit get biology out of the way as far as computer/electrical engineering goes?

I agree with the above comments. No biology is required. The exception would be if you are interested in specializing in biomedical engineering or other related fields, but this would be personal choice.

However, I do recommend taking some biology. An engineer should have some feel and understanding of the remarkable biological and chemical machines in nature. Whether one believes evolution is completely natural, or guided by a "God", an engineer must learn the lesson that much more is possible than our limited minds can invent.

Also, understanding the processes of evolution has some relevance to machine design. Some engineers have even used genetic algorithms to find new complex design approaches. Further, there are robot designers that use animal motion, instincts or thinking as models.

A lot of my friends are CE/EE majors...and yes. Usually just a semester will do it. But, on the computer engineering side of things...The genomics field is rapidly expanding, and if you are considering a grad. program in the programming kind of area, it may be beneficial to take more bio. But, only if it piques your interest.

I didn't take any as a physics major.

My university (UMass) requires "Biology I" as a graduation requirement for all majors.

The EE/CSE department doesn't require any chemistry courses, although I took Chemistry I and II out of personal interest.

1. How does biology relate to computer/electrical engineering?

Biology and computer/electrical engineering are closely related as they both involve the study and analysis of systems. In biology, the focus is on living systems such as cells, organisms, and ecosystems, while in computer/electrical engineering, the focus is on artificial systems such as computers, circuits, and networks. Both fields use similar principles of analysis, design, and problem-solving, making them complementary to each other.

2. Can computer/electrical engineers work in the field of biology?

Yes, computer/electrical engineers can work in the field of biology. With advancements in technology, there is a growing need for engineers to use their skills in analyzing and processing biological data. This can include designing and developing software tools for DNA sequencing, analyzing biological images, or creating simulations of biological processes.

3. What skills do I need to have to combine biology and computer/electrical engineering?

To combine biology and computer/electrical engineering, you will need a strong foundation in both fields. This includes knowledge of programming languages, circuit design, and data analysis for computer/electrical engineering, and understanding of genetics, biochemistry, and cellular biology for biology. Additionally, skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication are important for success in this interdisciplinary field.

4. What career options are available for someone with a background in both biology and computer/electrical engineering?

There are various career options available for someone with a background in both biology and computer/electrical engineering. Some examples include bioinformatics, biomedical engineering, computational biology, and neuroengineering. These roles involve applying engineering principles to biological problems, such as developing medical devices, designing algorithms for genetic analysis, or creating models of biological systems.

5. Is it necessary to have a degree in both biology and computer/electrical engineering to work in this field?

No, it is not necessary to have a degree in both fields to work in this field. Many professionals in this field have a degree in one of the two disciplines and gain knowledge and skills in the other through self-study, on-the-job training, or graduate-level courses. However, having a strong understanding of both fields can give you a competitive edge in the job market and open up more opportunities for interdisciplinary work.