1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much charge does the battery deliver?

Tags:
  1. Mar 28, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-3-28_1-26-56.png

2. Relevant equations / 3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is what I attempted for the HW. I only got 2/10 for this here so I'm wanting to correct my mistakes.
    upload_2017-3-28_1-25-22.png

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2017 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

How do you get the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series?

4. Mar 28, 2017 #3
    1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 = 5/6mF

5. Mar 28, 2017 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

It's 6/5 mF (you forgot to take the reciprocal).
    You have added them directly in your attempt.

6. Mar 28, 2017 #5
    So then the circuit becomes one with one capacitor Ceq= 5/6mF
    And we know Q=CV
    So, Q=(5/6mF)(10V) = 25/3 mC = 8.33x10^-6F?

7. Mar 28, 2017 #6
    Whoops! So I did.
    So Ceq=6/5mF and then plug that into the Q=CV equation?

8. Mar 28, 2017 #7
    Ceq = 1/(1/C1 + 1/C2) = C1*C2/(C1+C2)

nevermind, you picked it up, and I can't delete this

9. Mar 28, 2017 #8

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Yes.

10. Mar 28, 2017 #9

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see that in at least two problems in a short interval you make a similar stumbles, though you finally get it right. But since you seem to think in formulae and you forget them, even if you get it right now in six or 12 months time when you need it you're likely have forgotten and could stumble again. Cure IMO is to think physically not formulaically.

Physically, in the nature of what voltage is, voltages across elements in series add up (be the elements resistors, capacitors or inductors). Whereas for elements in parallel the voltage across them is the same for each almost by definition. By the nature of charge electric charge, the charge on capacitors in parallel add up to total charge, while capacitors in series each have the same charge.

I blame a lot of stumbles of students on the misleading slangy phrase "charge on a capacitor". Creating a charge - well actually you can't create any - but separating electrical charges is energetically expensive. So a capacitor does not have a charge. What it has is a charge separation – equal and opposite positive and negative charges close to each other, typically only a micrometer distant from each other, so overall neutrality. Known, elementary and obvious, maybe but I think students need to actively remind themselves when doing problems in order not to get confused.

11. Mar 28, 2017 #10
    Thank you guys! I really appreciate all of the help, I know there are a few of you that have commented a few times on my posts - It's been a big help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted