How much charge does the battery deliver?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series and the importance of thinking physically instead of formulaically when solving problems. The concept of charge separation is also mentioned as a crucial concept to understand in order to avoid confusion.
Kelsi_Jade

Homework Statement

upload_2017-3-28_1-26-56.png

Homework Equations

/ 3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
Here is what I attempted for the HW. I only got 2/10 for this here so I'm wanting to correct my mistakes.
upload_2017-3-28_1-25-22.png

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you get the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series?

1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 = 5/6mF

Kelsi_Jade said:
1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 = 5/6mF
It's 6/5 mF (you forgot to take the reciprocal).
You have added them directly in your attempt.

So then the circuit becomes one with one capacitor Ceq= 5/6mF
And we know Q=CV
So, Q=(5/6mF)(10V) = 25/3 mC = 8.33x10^-6F?

cnh1995 said:
It's 6/5 mF (you forgot to take the reciprocal).
You have added them directly in your attempt.
Whoops! So I did.
So Ceq=6/5mF and then plug that into the Q=CV equation?

Ceq = 1/(1/C1 + 1/C2) = C1*C2/(C1+C2)

nevermind, you picked it up, and I can't delete this

Kelsi_Jade said:
Whoops! So I did.
So Ceq=6/5mF and then plug that into the Q=CV equation?
Yes.

I see that in at least two problems in a short interval you make a similar stumbles, though you finally get it right. But since you seem to think in formulae and you forget them, even if you get it right now in six or 12 months time when you need it you're likely have forgotten and could stumble again. Cure IMO is to think physically not formulaically.

Physically, in the nature of what voltage is, voltages across elements in series add up (be the elements resistors, capacitors or inductors). Whereas for elements in parallel the voltage across them is the same for each almost by definition. By the nature of charge electric charge, the charge on capacitors in parallel add up to total charge, while capacitors in series each have the same charge.

I blame a lot of stumbles of students on the misleading slangy phrase "charge on a capacitor". Creating a charge - well actually you can't create any - but separating electrical charges is energetically expensive. So a capacitor does not have a charge. What it has is a charge separation – equal and opposite positive and negative charges close to each other, typically only a micrometer distant from each other, so overall neutrality. Known, elementary and obvious, maybe but I think students need to actively remind themselves when doing problems in order not to get confused.

Likes Kelsi_Jade
Thank you guys! I really appreciate all of the help, I know there are a few of you that have commented a few times on my posts - It's been a big help!

1. How is the charge of a battery measured?

The charge of a battery is typically measured in ampere-hours (Ah) or milliampere-hours (mAh). This is a unit of electrical charge that indicates the amount of current a battery can deliver over a specific period of time.

2. What factors affect the amount of charge a battery can deliver?

The amount of charge a battery can deliver is affected by factors such as its chemistry, size, temperature, and age. Different battery chemistries have different charge capacities and external factors such as temperature can impact the battery's performance.

3. How long does a fully charged battery last?

The length of time a fully charged battery will last depends on the device it is powering and its energy consumption. A higher energy consumption device will drain the battery faster, while a lower energy consumption device will allow the battery to last longer.

4. Can a battery deliver more charge than its rated capacity?

No, a battery cannot deliver more charge than its rated capacity. This is because the battery's capacity is determined by its internal chemistry and design, and attempting to draw more charge than its rated capacity can damage the battery and potentially cause it to fail.

5. How can I extend the amount of charge a battery can deliver?

To extend the amount of charge a battery can deliver, it is important to properly maintain and use the battery. This includes avoiding extreme temperatures, not overcharging or completely draining the battery, and using a charger that is designed for the specific battery type.