How much chemistry in Electrical Engineering

In summary, the individual is currently in their 2nd year of A levels in chemistry, physics, and further mathematics. They are unsure whether to study electrical engineering or mathematical physics, as they have a strong interest in math but dislike qualitative subjects. They are concerned about the amount of chemistry required in an EE program, but most schools only require introductory courses. The individual's specific EE program only requires one chemistry class. In the UK, universities tend to have more specific programs and the individual may not have to take any additional chemistry courses unless they choose to.
ejohnson999
I am currently doing my 2nd year A levels in chemistry, phys and F.Math. Finshd normal math in yer 1. I am undecided as to whether I should study EE or Mathematical physics.

The thing Is I have a great interest for math and applications of math but greatly dislike qualitative stuff. I hear that 1 would have to do chemistry in EE and I don't like chem because it is to qualitative, very little math in describing concepts and ideas, expesialy organic.

So my question is How much chem would 1 have to take in EE.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most schools require the general Chem 1 and Chem 2 courses. Basic introductory courses. It all depends on the school and its general requirements.

So at best it won't go further than my A level Chem?

From what I've seen while looking at course catalogs and major requirements, EE usually needs to take chemistry, but only on an introductory level (as fizziks already mentioned). It would help if you provided the name of a specific school, but the norm is to require only an intro course.

I guess EE sounds appetizing cause what we doing now is biochem, Basic intro shouldn't go past biochem, and ligand exchange, etc.

Thanx for replies

The EE program I am in only requires general chemistry 201. There are a lot of math and analysis classes along with physics, but only one chemistry class.

Last edited:
Presumably you're in the UK?

The UK universities that I know are all specific enough with their programmes that you wouldn't do any separate chemistry courses at all, unless you choose to. You would probably have to chose 2 or 3 subjects in your first year and I guess would likely take EE, maths and/or physics.

Thats a relief, introductory chem shouldn't be to hectic.

1. How much chemistry knowledge is required for an electrical engineering degree?

Chemistry plays a crucial role in electrical engineering, but the amount of chemistry knowledge required may vary depending on the program and specific courses. Generally, students are required to take one or two introductory chemistry courses as part of their degree requirements.

2. What specific areas of electrical engineering involve chemistry?

There are several areas of electrical engineering that involve chemistry, such as materials science, semiconductor technology, and electrochemistry. Understanding chemical properties and reactions is essential for designing and developing electronic components and devices.

3. Can I become an electrical engineer if I am not good at chemistry?

While a strong foundation in chemistry can be beneficial for an electrical engineering career, it is not a requirement. With dedication and hard work, it is possible to become a successful electrical engineer even if you are not particularly good at chemistry.

4. How does chemistry impact the design and manufacturing of electronic devices?

Chemical properties of materials used in electronic devices play a crucial role in their design and manufacturing. For example, the chemical composition of semiconductors and their doping levels determine their conductivity and other electrical properties.

5. Is there a need for chemistry in the field of electrical engineering?

Yes, there is a significant need for chemistry in the field of electrical engineering. With the advancement of technology and the demand for more efficient and smaller electronic devices, the understanding of chemical properties and processes is becoming increasingly important in this field.