1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering How much chemistry in Electrical Engineering

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    I am currently doing my 2nd year A levels in chemistry, phys and F.Math. Finshd normal math in yer 1. I am undecided as to whether I should study EE or Mathematical physics.

The thing Is I have a great interest for math and applications of math but greatly dislike qualitative stuff. I hear that 1 would have to do chemistry in EE and I don't like chem because it is to qualitative, very little math in describing concepts and ideas, expesialy organic.

So my question is How much chem would 1 have to take in EE.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2
    Most schools require the general Chem 1 and Chem 2 courses. Basic introductory courses. It all depends on the school and its general requirements.

4. May 24, 2010 #3
    So at best it wont go further than my A level Chem?

5. May 24, 2010 #4
    From what I've seen while looking at course catalogs and major requirements, EE usually needs to take chemistry, but only on an introductory level (as fizziks already mentioned). It would help if you provided the name of a specific school, but the norm is to require only an intro course.

6. May 25, 2010 #5
    I guess EE sounds appetizing cause what we doing now is biochem, Basic intro shouldn't go past biochem, and ligand exchange, etc.

Thanx for replies

7. May 25, 2010 #6
    The EE program I am in only requires general chemistry 201. There are a lot of math and analysis classes along with physics, but only one chemistry class.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  8. May 26, 2010 #7
    Presumably you're in the UK?

The UK universities that I know are all specific enough with their programmes that you wouldn't do any separate chemistry courses at all, unless you choose to. You would probably have to chose 2 or 3 subjects in your first year and I guess would likely take EE, maths and/or physics.

9. May 28, 2010 #8
    Thats a relief, introductory chem shouldn't be to hectic.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook