1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much current does the elevator consume?

1. Feb 3, 2016 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Energy conversion efficiency of the elevator is 80%, it is working from 220 volts. How much current does the electro motor consume while it is constantly lifting the 500 kg cabin at 2 m/s.

The attempt at a solution

I=P/U, so I figured I need to know the power. P=F*v. I know the velocity (2 m/s) so I need the force.
    F=m(g+a). Now this looks simple but for some reason I'm stuck. The acceleration = 0, so F must = mg?
    If so - F=500*9.81=4905. (I suppose kilograms and m/s shouldn't be converted to anything).
    P=9810W. If the efficiency is 80% - the whole power consumed is 9810/0.8=12262.5W.
    And then I=12262.5/220=55.7 amps.
    I'm not sure if it's too much or too little for an elevator, so I'm not really sure if I solved it correctly.
    What do you think? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're somewhat careless with units.

W = mg has units of kg-m/s2, which are otherwise known as newtons. Energy has units of newton-meters, and a power of 1 N-m/s is known as a watt. You should learn the definitions of these derived units in SI.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted