1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scale in an elevator, time, mass, and velocity function given

1. Nov 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are standing on a bathroom scale in an elevator in a small building. The elevator starts from rest and moves with a velocity given by v(t) = (3 m/s^2)t + (0.2 m/s^3)t^2. If your mass is 64 kg what is your weight at t=4.0 s as recorded by the scale (in N)

2. Relevant equations
    v(t) = (3 m/s^2)t + (0.2 m/s^3)t^2
    The acceleration function is the derivative of the acceleration function so I guess: A(t) = .4t + 3
    I think this is needed: F = (ma)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I plug t=4 into the acceleration equation A(t) = .4t + 3 and get 4.6. Then F = m*a so 64*4.6 but that gives me 294N but the answers in the question are 627N, 1254N, 333N, 124N and 922N (the correct answer is 922N btw)

I would really appreciate any help on this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You stand on the scales, that exerts a normal force on you, upward. The scale reads the normal force (divided by g). At the same time, gravity pulls downward with force mg. Ma= the sum of forces, N-mg. You accelerate upward, with acceleration 4.6 m/s2. Your apparent weight is equal to the normal force. How much is the normal force?

4. Nov 2, 2014 #3
    294N + (64kg * 9.8m/s^2) = 921.2 N, thanks I got it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted