How much do 3 televisions cost?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Johnx1
  • Start date
In summary, the cost of a single television is represented by "T" and the cost of a single washing machine is represented by "W". The total cost of 2 televisions and 5 washing machines is $7215, and each washing machine costs $216 less than a television. By setting up a system of equations, we can solve for the cost of a single television and a single washing machine, which will ultimately answer the question of how much 3 televisions cost.
Johnx1
The total cost of 2 similar televisions and 5 similar washing machines is \$7215. Each washing machine costs \$216 less than a television. How much do 3 televisions cost?my answer:
2 television + 5 washing machines = 7215but I got stuck there. However I dd look at how to do it, but I'm not 100% sure why they subtracted 432 from 7215. Is there a better algebraic expression that I have on top?

Unless it's: 2 television + 5 washing machines + 432 = 7215?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey!

So what you are supposed to be thinking about in this problem is the "unknowns". What is the question? "How much do 3 televisions cost?" We know how many of each we are buying but we do not know what they cost.

"my answer: 2 television + 5 washing machines = 7215"

You are going in the right direction, but what you want to say is,

(2 televisions)(the cost of a television) + (5 washing machines)(the cost of a washing machine) = 7215

It will be much easier to rename these costs as variables. Let,

x = the cost of a television
y = the cost of a washing machine

Now we have a better looking equation.

2x + 5y = 7215

Now, to solve a system of equations using elimination (or substitution) we are going to need another equation! What else does the problem tell you?

"Each washing machine costs $216 less than a television."

Let's rewrite this using our variables.

the cost of a television - the cost of a washing machine = 216

or

x - y = 216

Awesome! Now we have two equations! So our system of equations is...

2x + 5y = 7215
x - y = 216

Try solving the system using the method of elimination or substitution.

Let "W" be the cost of a single washing machine and let "T" be the cost of a single television set.

"The total cost of 2 similar televisions and 5 similar washing machines is 7215".
So 2T+ 5W= 7215.

That is what you have though I think it is simpler, and less error prone, to use single letters rather than full words (clearly stating what those letters represent). This is a single equation in two unknowns so we need another equation in order to solve for specific values of T and W.

"Each washing machine costs $216 less than a television." This is our second equation:
W= T- 216.

You want to solve 2T+ 5W= 7215 and W= T- 216. The obvious thing to do is to replace W in the first equation by T- 216: 2T+ 5(T- 216)= 7215.

I'll keep in mind to write it in single variables. Thank you to everyone for showing a clear way to do it.

1. How is the cost of a television determined?

The cost of a television is determined by a combination of factors such as the brand, size, features, and technology used in the TV. Higher-end brands and larger sizes typically have a higher cost, while budget brands and smaller sizes may have a lower cost.

2. What is the average cost of a television?

The average cost of a television can vary greatly depending on the factors mentioned above. However, according to a 2020 study by Statista, the average cost of a 32-inch TV is around $200, while a 55-inch TV can cost around $500.

3. How much do 3 televisions cost on average?

The average cost of 3 televisions will depend on the specific models and brands chosen. However, based on the average costs mentioned in the previous question, three 32-inch TVs would cost around $600, while three 55-inch TVs would cost around $1500.

4. Are there additional costs to consider when buying a television?

In addition to the initial cost of the TV, there may be additional costs to consider such as shipping and handling fees, sales tax, and extended warranty costs. These costs may vary depending on the retailer and location of purchase.

5. Can the cost of a television be negotiated?

In some cases, the cost of a television can be negotiated, especially if purchasing from a physical store. However, online retailers may not have as much room for negotiation. It is always worth trying to negotiate for a lower price, but be prepared to pay the listed cost.