How much does Newtons 3rd Law account for Lift in %?

In summary, Newton's 3rd law accounts for 100% of the lift of a chopper, while Bernoulli's principle applies to the air above and below the rotor but not across the plane of the rotor. A NASA article on propellers provides further information on this topic.
06mangro
I would like to know how much of a % does Newtons 3rd law (action / reaction) account for lift of a chopper.. i would also like to know this for Bernoulli's principle..
Can you give a source to back it up?

I can't find an answer any where

Physics news on Phys.org
06mangro said:
I would like to know how much of a % does Newtons 3rd law (action / reaction) account for lift of a chopper.
100%.

06mangro said:
Bernoulli's principle.
Applies above and below the rotor, but not across the plane of the rotor, because energy is added to the air (work is done). Link to NASA article for propellors, a similar case:

NASA_propeller_analysis.htm

1. How does Newton's 3rd Law account for Lift?

According to Newton's 3rd Law, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of lift, the action is the downward force of the air on the wing, and the reaction is the upward force on the wing that creates lift. This is known as the principle of action and reaction.

2. What percentage of lift is accounted for by Newton's 3rd Law?

Newton's 3rd Law accounts for 100% of the lift in an aircraft. Without this law, lift would not be possible as there would be no force pushing the wing upwards.

3. Is Newton's 3rd Law the only factor contributing to lift?

No, Newton's 3rd Law is not the only factor contributing to lift. Lift is also affected by other principles such as Bernoulli's principle and the angle of attack of the wing. However, Newton's 3rd Law is the most significant factor in creating lift.

4. Can Newton's 3rd Law explain the lift of all types of aircraft?

Yes, Newton's 3rd Law can explain the lift of all types of aircraft, from airplanes to helicopters to birds. As long as there is a downward force and an equal and opposite upward force, lift can be achieved.

5. How does Newton's 3rd Law affect the design of aircraft wings?

The design of aircraft wings takes into account Newton's 3rd Law by creating a shape that allows for a greater downward force on the top of the wing and a greater upward force on the bottom of the wing. This creates a pressure difference that results in lift. The angle of the wing and the shape of the airfoil are also important factors in utilizing Newton's 3rd Law for lift.