1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing forces between 2 current loops are in accord with newtons 3rd law

1. Jul 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    show that the forces between two current loops obey newtons 3rd law.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \textbf{F}_{12}=\frac{\mu I_{1}I_{2}}{4 \pi s^{2}} d\textbf{r}_{1}\times(d\textbf{r}_{2}\times \textbf{s}) [/tex]
    s is the distance between the elements of current
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So, i have to show that:
    [tex] \textbf{F}_{12}=-\textbf{F}_{21}[/tex]
    I will set all the scalar stuff equal to a constant k. i use the BAC CAB rule to get:
    [tex]\textbf{F}_{12}=k(d\textbf{r}_{2}(d\textbf{r}_{1}\cdot\textbf{s})-\textbf{s}(d\textbf{r}_{1}\cdot d\textbf{r}_{2}))[/tex]

I set up my coordinate system so that my first loop lies at x = 0, and the other at x = 1, with equal radii, r = 1, which gives me the following equations:
    [tex]
    d\textbf{r}_{1}=(-sin(\theta),cos(\theta),0)d\theta[/tex]
    [tex]d\textbf{r}_{2}=(-sin(\phi),cos(phi),0)d\phi[/tex]
    [tex] \textbf{s}=\frac{\textbf{r}_1-\textbf{r}_{2}}{||\textbf{r}_1-\textbf{r}_{2}||}=\frac{(cos(\theta)-cos(\phi),sin(\theta)-sin(\phi),-1)}{||(cos(\theta)-cos(\phi),sin(\theta)-sin(\phi),-1)||}[/tex]
    Is this right? This will allow me to first integrate around the first loop and then the second. When I do the resulting integral i end up getting 0. Could someone please tell me why I am doing this incorrectly? Any help is greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you have to integrate anything. Can't you just show that if you interchange 1<->2 (which means also changing s->-s) that the sign of the integrand reverses?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?