How much does the ball weight in water

In summary, a suspended iron ball is submerged in a beaker of water on top of a measuring balance. The system is in equilibrium, with the only forces acting on it being the tension of the string and the normal force. After applying Newton's Third Law, it is determined that the water exerts an upthrust on the ball and the ball exerts a downthrust on the water. Therefore, the reading on the balance with the suspended ball in it should be W+U, where U is the magnitude of the upthrust.
blade_chong

Homework Statement

An iron ball is suspended in the air by a string attached to the ceiling. This iron ball is then submerged into the a beaker of water on top of a measuring balance, such that the ball is not in contact with the base of the beaker. When the beaker of water(without anything in it) is measured with the balance, the reading on the balance is W. What is the reading on the balance with the suspended ball in it?

Homework Equations

Nil

The Attempt at a Solution

T=mg-u ,
T= tension of the string
mg=weight of ball
u=upthrust due to the weight of ball displaced by the water
Since this system is in equilibruim, it can be taken that nothing has been added into the beaker of water. So, the reading on the balance with the suspended ball in it should be W.
But the answer given is W+U. Can anyone tell me what i have done wrong? Is there anything wrong with my assumption? Or is the answer really wrong? Help~~~~~

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
write the eqn for beaker and ball as a system and note that the only force acting on them is the force of tension in string(connected to ball)and Normal(the weight measured)

Find tension using eqm of ball

Hi there,

You should forget about the gravity, otherwise you would have an unbalanced equation.

Cheers

What force does the water exert on the ball?
Now apply Newton's Third Law.

oh man i still don't understand...

davieddy said:
What force does the water exert on the ball?
Now apply Newton's Third Law.

there is upthrust. So do u mean the there is a equal but opposite force which is equal to the magnitude of upthrust acting on the ball? if it is so wouldn't the tension equals to the weight of the ball ie. T=mg?

Last edited:
Hi there,

No that's no correct. But since the ball suspended is montionless (I suppose), then the force have come to an equilibrium. [tex]\sum \vec{F} = 0[/tex]

Then, you need to see what are the forces acting on this system.

fatra2 said:
Hi there,

No that's no correct. But since the ball suspended is montionless (I suppose), then the force have come to an equilibrium. [tex]\sum \vec{F} = 0[/tex]

Then, you need to see what are the forces acting on this system.

I can only think of the weight of the beaker of water...
so do u mean that the balance's reading is the same regardless of whether the suspended ball is present, since the force have come to equilibrium?

The water exerts an upthrust on the ball.
Newton's Third Law tells us that the ball exerts a downthrust on the
water equal in magnitude.

oooo..i have forgotten the downthrust
thx to all that have help me... i understand now..

Related to How much does the ball weight in water

1. What is the weight of the ball in water?

The weight of the ball in water is equal to its weight in air minus the weight of the displaced water.

2. How do you calculate the weight of the ball in water?

To calculate the weight of the ball in water, you will need to measure its weight in air and then submerge it in water and measure the weight again. The difference between these two weights will give you the weight of the displaced water, which can then be subtracted from the weight in air to determine the weight of the ball in water.

3. Why does the weight of a ball change in water?

The weight of a ball changes in water because the water exerts an upward force, known as buoyancy, on the ball. This buoyant force counteracts the weight of the ball and reduces its overall weight in water.

4. Does the weight of the ball in water depend on the type of water?

Yes, the weight of the ball in water can vary depending on the type of water. The density of water can vary depending on factors such as temperature and salinity, which can affect the weight of the displaced water and therefore the weight of the ball in water.

5. How does the weight of the ball in water relate to its density?

The weight of the ball in water can be used to determine its density. By using the weight of the ball in air, the weight of the displaced water, and the volume of the ball, you can calculate the density of the ball using the formula density = mass/volume.