How much electrical energy can be extracted from Iron in a cell?

In summary, the cell produces 1.21 volts before becoming balanced. If the cells are not balanced, then the cell will stop working due to identical potentials.
Kisen
TL;DR Summary
How much electrical energy can be extracted from Iron in a cell?
Hi,
I am trying to get to an answer for the following scenario.

Imagine you have an electrochemical cell in its most basic terms.
On the negative electrode you have 3 moles of iron metal in a chloride solution. On the positive side you have 3 moles FeCl3 solution. These are separated by a membrane. A pretty standard setup.

When you connect a load between the positive and negative electrodes, electrons flow as iron metal oxidises to Fe2 and Fe3 reduces to Fe2.

What i am trying to calculate is how much energy does the above setup produce before the cell becomes balanced?
If not balanced, then what's left over after one of the electrodes reaches a state of all Fe2?

Can anyone help me answer these 2 questions, please.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Can you write reactions for both cells? Can you write Nernst equation for both cells? Battery will stop working when these potentials are identical.

Likes Lord Jestocost
Borek said:
Can you write reactions for both cells? Can you write Nernst equation for both cells? Battery will stop working when these potentials are identical.
Hi,
Here are the reactions during discharge for both side of the cell. I don't know what a Nernst equation is. Will a Nernst equation help me to calculate how much overall energy is in a cell of a given size?

Reactions:

Positive electrode: 2FeCl3 + 2e- -> 2FeCl2 + 2Cl- Eo = 0.77V

Negative electrode: Fe + 2Cl- -> FeCl2 + 2e- Eo = -0.44V

Overall cell reaction: Fe + 2 FeCl3 -> 3FeCl2 Eocell = 1.21V

Nernst equation let's you calculate the potential as a function of concentration of ions involved, so it will let you calculate the final potential. It will also let you calculate all intermediate potentials as a function of the reaction progress towards the equilibrium, as concentrations are rather simple function of the reaction stoichiometry - which is in turn easy to combine with the flowing current or charge transfer (through the Faraday's law of electrolysis). VI is power, integrate it from the initial concentration to the equilibrium and you have energy of the system.

It is also definitely possible to calculate the amount of energy from thermodynamics, using Gibbs energy of the system. In theory I should be able to do that, in practice I forgot too much and I prefer to not risk making an idiot out of myself :wink:

1. How does iron contribute to the production of electrical energy in a cell?

Iron plays a crucial role in the production of electrical energy in a cell by serving as a cofactor for enzymes involved in cellular respiration and electron transport. These processes involve the transfer of electrons, which ultimately leads to the production of ATP, the primary source of energy for cells.

2. Can all types of iron be used to extract electrical energy from a cell?

No, only certain forms of iron, such as iron ions (Fe2+ and Fe3+) and iron-sulfur clusters, are able to participate in the electron transfer reactions that produce electrical energy in a cell. Other forms of iron, such as iron oxide, do not have the necessary properties to contribute to this process.

3. How much electrical energy can be extracted from iron in a cell?

The amount of electrical energy that can be extracted from iron in a cell varies depending on several factors, including the amount of iron present, the efficiency of the enzymes involved in electron transfer reactions, and the overall metabolic state of the cell. However, it is estimated that each molecule of iron can contribute to the production of 2-3 ATP molecules.

4. Is the extraction of electrical energy from iron in a cell a sustainable process?

Yes, the extraction of electrical energy from iron in a cell is a sustainable process as long as there is a constant supply of iron and other necessary components, such as oxygen and nutrients. This process is part of the overall cellular metabolism, which is a continuous and regulated process in living organisms.

5. Can the amount of electrical energy extracted from iron in a cell be increased?

Yes, the amount of electrical energy extracted from iron in a cell can be increased through various means, such as increasing the availability of iron, optimizing the efficiency of enzymes involved in electron transfer reactions, and enhancing the overall metabolic activity of the cell. However, this process is tightly regulated and any imbalances can have negative effects on the cell's functioning.