How Much Energy and Cost Are Involved in Heating Daily Water to 75°C?

  • Thread starter Thread starter miniradman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Heat Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
miniradman
Messages
191
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A family uses 150 L of hot water each day. The hot water system is set to 75°C and the
supply water has a temperature of 20°C. How much energy is required? If the hot water
consumption was spread out evenly over the whole day (24 hrs), what is the total daily cost
(assuming 14 c/kWh)?

Homework Equations


[itex]Q=mC \Delta T[/itex]

[itex]C = 4.184 kJ/kg (HeatingCapacity)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Hi all, I have this question and I thought I was doing it correctly, but for some reason I'm not getting the required answer.
[itex]density of water = 998[/itex]

[itex]Volume = 0.15 m^{3}[/itex]

[itex]m = 149.7 kg[/itex]

[itex]\Delta T = 55[/itex]

[itex]Q=(149.7)(4.184)(55)[/itex]
[itex]Q=34424.26 kJ[/itex]

[itex]seconds/day = 86400s[/itex]

[itex]p = \frac{dQ}{dT} = \frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta T}[/itex]

[itex]p = \frac{34424.26 kJ }{86400s}[/itex]

[itex]p = 0.39843kW[/itex]

[itex]p kWh = 0.39843kW (3600)[/itex]

[itex]p kWh = 1434kWh[/itex]

[itex]cost = (0.14c) (1434kWh)[/itex]

[itex]cost = 200c = $2.00[/itex]

However the answer states that it is $1.35/day

I checked my work three times through, but I think I have a fundamental misunderstanding of something which is stopping me from getting the correct answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
miniradman said:
[itex]p = 0.39843kW[/itex]

[itex]p kWh = 0.39843kW (3600)[/itex]

[itex]p kWh = 1434kWh[/itex]
This is where you go wrong. In that second line, you are actually calculating how much energy is used every hour:
$$
0.39843\ \textrm{kW} \times \frac{3600\ \textrm{s}}{\textrm h} = 1434\ \textrm{kJ/h}
$$
Instead, find the conversion factor to go from kJ to kWh:
$$
\begin{align}
1 \textrm{kWh} &= 1 \textrm{kW} \times \textrm{h} \\
&= 1 \frac{\textrm{kJ}}{ \textrm{s}} \times \textrm{h} \\
&= 1 \frac{\textrm{kJ}}{ \textrm{s}} \times \textrm{h} \times \frac{3600\ \textrm{s}}{\textrm h} \\
&= 3600\ \textrm{kJ}
\end{align}
$$
 
Ahh, I plugged that conversion factor in after I found Q, then got $1.33... close enough?

Cheers for the response