How much energy is required to produce the electron-positron pair

  • Thread starter Thread starter vst98
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Pair
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
vst98
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


How much energy is required to produce the electron-positron pair in the filed of nucleus (Z=20) if electron is captured to the ground 1s state of the system.

The Attempt at a Solution



I can calculate the energy of the captured electron from

E = - εZ2/(2n2) where ε=me4/hbar2≈27.2eV

E = - 5442eV

Now I have to add this energy to the energy of created positron to have total required energy, right ? But I do not know how to find energy of a positron.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi vst9! :smile:
vst98 said:
… But I do not know how to find energy of a positron.

won't it be the same as the energy of the electron?
 
hi tiny-tim !

Yes I think so, then it is the energy and momentum conservation that places a restriction
on the positron to have the same energy as electron , right ?

I was a little bit confused by the "... in the filed of nucleus" part of the question, then
this filed of a nucleus does not change much (except maybe the needed energy).

So, the needed energy for pair creation is E=2*5442=10.88keV
 
hi vst98! :wink:

right! :smile:

i'm not sure why they mentioned the field (not "filed" :wink:) … it doesn't seem to add anything to the rest of the question :confused:
 
Ok, thanks !

(yes it is "field" and not "filed" in the original question, my flip error :) )