Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much energy is required to produce the electron-positron pair

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How much energy is required to produce the electron-positron pair in the filed of nucleus (Z=20) if electron is captured to the ground 1s state of the system.

3. The attempt at a solution

I can calculate the energy of the captured electron from

E = - εZ2/(2n2) where ε=me4/hbar2≈27.2eV

E = - 5442eV

Now I have to add this energy to the energy of created positron to have total required energy, right ? But I do not know how to find energy of a positron.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi vst9! :smile:
    won't it be the same as the energy of the electron?

4. Feb 26, 2012 #3
    hi tiny-tim !

Yes I think so, then it is the energy and momentum conservation that places a restriction
    on the positron to have the same energy as electron , right ?

I was a little bit confused by the "... in the filed of nucleus" part of the question, then
    this filed of a nucleus does not change much (except maybe the needed energy).

So, the needed energy for pair creation is E=2*5442=10.88keV

5. Feb 26, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi vst98! :wink:

right! :smile:

i'm not sure why they mentioned the field (not "filed" :wink:) … it doesn't seem to add anything to the rest of the question :confused:

6. Feb 27, 2012 #5
    Ok, thanks !

(yes it is "field" and not "filed" in the original question, my flip error :) )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?