How Much Energy Would it Take to Decay Thallium into Gold?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PublicEnemy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Decay Energy Gold
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
PublicEnemy
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I'm sorry if this question has been posted before, but how much energy would it take for thallium to decay into gold? I know it would cost more to decay thallium into gold than the gold is actually worth, but I'm just curious.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can't make something decay the way you want it. Just because you have some thallium doesn't mean it will decay into gold. For that you need a particular thallium isotope. Sometimes you can force decay irradiating starting material, no idea if it will work for Tl.
 
Ahh I see. Sorry I'm just starting to learn about decay so I guess I don't understand it very well. Thanks
 
Nothing wrong with wanting to learn and misunderstanding something on your way up :smile: