How much force do I exert on the Earth?

In summary, Cesium discovered that an upward acceleration of 1.67g is necessary for someone to jump 60.4 cm, and that this acceleration is reached once the object leaves the ground.
cs44167
Homework Statement
Calculate your acceleration while jumping, the net force that acts on you while jumping, and the force you exert on Earth when you jump.
Relevant Equations
w = mg

acceleration = Net force / mass

2.2 lb = 1 kg
This question required measurements which are the following:

my weight = 108 lbs
crouching distance (the distance from my regular height to where I crouch) = 90.6 cm
jump height = 60.4 cm

I first converted lb to kg, and I got 49.09 kg. I then used this value for w = mg and inputted 9.80 for g and got w = 481.09 N. I then used this force for a = net force / mass and found the acceleration to be 9.7999 m/s/s.

This answer was wrong, and I was wondering why I went wrong in my work. The answer made sense to me — the only force, neglecting air resistance, acting on someone in the middle of their jump is acceleration due to gravity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Cesium, :welcome: !

Doesn't your result (9.7999 m/s) look a lot like ##g## ?

(Small wonder if you first do ##W = mg## and then ##a = W/m## :smile: )​

I envy your 60 cm !

Jumping has three phases: you go from crouching to right up (accelerating), then you fly (basically free fall) and when you land you crouch again to soften the landing (decelerating).

cs44167 said:
This answer was wrong,
That surprises me: I agree with your reasoning and with your result. How do you know it's wrong (do you have the right answer, or just a red cross or something ?)

Perhaps - if your teacher is a computer in a strange backward country, the answer is expected to be expressed in antique units ? (Such as lbf, feet/forthnight2 or other :wink:)

BvU said:
Hello Cesium, :welcome: !

Doesn't your result (9.7999 m/s) look a lot like ##g## ?

(Small wonder if you first do ##W = mg## and then ##a = W/m## :smile: )​

I envy your 60 cm !

Jumping has three phases: you go from crouching to right up (accelerating), then you fly (basically free fall) and when you land you crouch again to soften the landing (decelerating).

That surprises me: I agree with your reasoning and with your result. How do you know it's wrong (do you have the right answer, or just a red cross or something ?)

Perhaps - if your teacher is a computer in a strange backward country, the answer is expected to be expressed in antique units ? (Such as lbf, feet/forthnight2 or other :wink:)
It’s on a website and gives a red x when the answer is incorrect. There’s never been an issue and the answer for acceleration is to be expressed in m/s/s. The only thing I was thinking was since acceleration is a vector if not having a negative sign was the issue.

We have three submissions, the first I put 9.80 m/s/s, then -9.80 m/s/s, and now I’m stuck.

I'm afraid I am stuck as well. Doesn't help but perhaps feels a little better.

I don't suppose the website is accessible for pagans from outside ?

BvU said:
I'm afraid I am stuck as well. Doesn't help but perhaps feels a little better.

I don't suppose the website is accessible for pagans from outside ?
The correct answer is a maximum upward acceleration a=.67g. This is what is required to produce a jump height of 60.4cm with an acceleration stretch over a distance of 90.6cm. Then add in the weight.

Likes SammyS
I didn't read that in the problem statement, but I can understand that it's somewhat implicitly intended (semantics?). So a jump ends in that interpretation once the object leaves the ground.

@cs44167: If your career doesn't depend on it or you have more tries left, give it a try !

@hutchphd : you seem to know the website ?

Likes SammyS
Perhaps I overstated...I think the correct answer is 1.67W... I don't know the website. Be glad to help more tomorrow.

1. How can I calculate the amount of force I exert on the Earth?

To calculate the amount of force you exert on the Earth, you will need to know your mass and the distance between you and the Earth's center. Then, you can use the equation F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 is your mass, m2 is the Earth's mass, and r is the distance between you and the Earth's center.

2. Does everyone exert the same amount of force on the Earth?

No, the amount of force exerted on the Earth varies from person to person. It depends on their mass and their distance from the Earth's center.

3. Is there a limit to the amount of force I can exert on the Earth?

Technically, there is no limit to the amount of force you can exert on the Earth. However, the amount of force you can exert is limited by your mass and the distance between you and the Earth's center.

4. How does the force I exert on the Earth affect the Earth's rotation and orbit?

The force you exert on the Earth has a negligible effect on its rotation and orbit. The Earth's mass is significantly larger than any individual's mass, so the force you exert is relatively small in comparison.

5. Can I increase the force I exert on the Earth?

No, you cannot increase the force you exert on the Earth. Your mass and the distance between you and the Earth's center are fixed, so the force you exert will remain the same unless one of these factors changes.