How much force does the train exert on Superman?

In summary: That's the essence of the 3rd law.In summary, the problem requires finding the force Superman must exert to stop a 120-kmh train from hitting a stalled car on the tracks. After calculating the time and deceleration, we can use Newton's second law to find the force, which in this case is equal to the mass of the train multiplied by the deceleration. This force is also equal to the force applied by the train on Superman, according to Newton's third law.
zfire888

Homework Statement

Superman must stop a 120-kmh train 150m to keep it from hitting a stalled car on the tracks. If the train's mass is 3.6 x 10^5 kg, how much force must he exert? Compare to the weight of the train (give as %). How much force does the train exert on Superman?"

Homework Equations

We just started this unit but I am not entirely sure which equation to use. I know I must find the amount of time it takes to stop, the deceleration of the train, and the forces from the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've found the time, 9 seconds, and the deceleration, -3.703 (would it be negative?) I need help from this point on and I know it's relevant to Newton's third law of motion. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have the deceleration, use Newton's 2nd law and find the force. F=ma.

First of all, deceleration includes a negative sign. So it would be negative acceleration or positive deceleration.

The first step in your answer is to find the deceleration which you have done and it looks correct to me.

Newton's second law and Newton's third law overlap here. You know that force equals mass multiplied by acceleration. You have an acceleration and a mass so the force should be easy to find. As for Newton's third law. If Superman is applying 'x' amount of force, the train applies 'x' amount of force back.

1. What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is Force = Mass x Acceleration, or F = ma. This means that the amount of force exerted on an object is directly proportional to its mass and the acceleration it experiences.

2. How does Newton's Third Law apply to the force exerted by a train on Superman?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the force exerted by the train on Superman is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force exerted by Superman on the train.

3. How does Superman's superhuman strength affect the force exerted by the train?

Superman's superhuman strength does not affect the force exerted by the train on him. The train will exert the same amount of force on Superman regardless of his strength. However, Superman may be able to resist or counter the force due to his strength.

4. Does the speed of the train impact the force exerted on Superman?

Yes, the speed of the train does impact the force exerted on Superman. According to the formula for force, the acceleration of the train is a factor in determining the force. Therefore, a faster train will exert more force on Superman compared to a slower train.

5. Can the force exerted by the train harm Superman?

Yes, the force exerted by the train can harm Superman. If the force is strong enough, it can cause damage to his body or even injure him. However, Superman's invulnerability and superhuman abilities may allow him to withstand a certain amount of force without being harmed.