• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How much force is required to start a block moving on level ground?

• Thread starter grrer
  • Start date

Homework Statement

The Egyptian's sled system had a rather high coefficient of static friction (0.7) but a much lower coefficient of kinetic friction (0.3) How much force is required to start a block moving on level ground?
We know the block is 1980 kg

and after that:
Assume that one person is able to apply 100N the block. Using this value, how many people does it take to pull a block at constance velocity along flat ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do i do Fs - Fk to find the answer to the first question? or is it just Fs?

Answers and Replies

Just Fs .

and is the second one just fk?

Well why do you think static and kinetic friction are different forces? They are just names of different phases of the same force. So use Fs when block does not move and Fk when it has started moving.

thanks!
Assume that a comfortable walking speed for an average person is 1.33m/s Assume that the workers can only walk at half this speed while they were pulling a block, but that they would walk at this speed on the trip from the pyramid back to the quarry. At these speeds, how many blocks can one crew of 59 people, move from the quarry (5km away) to the pyramid in one ten hour work day?

Last edited:
I am guessing that this one is related to the last. You can use simple kinematics for this- time for one round trip, how many stones for the crew in one round trip and then for the day.You have everything just go for it.

what forumula do I use? I'm confused what to do with the velocity

Well v=distance/t, what else?

:S and then?

Last edited:
Are you overcomplicating? Start with time for one round trip for one block. Since you have already calculated the people required for one block, you can calculate the no. of blocks a group of 59 would move in one round trip.The time for one trip divided by total working time and multiplied by no. of blocks in one trip is your answer.

wow, yes i was over complicating it, thank you so much!

sorry maybe i just dont understand what this question is asking but:
How long does it take a crew to accelerate a block to the walking speed?