How much fuel is needed to reach a specific velocity in rocket propulsion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
car202
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The space shuttle, with an initial mass M = 2.41E+6 kg, is launched from the surface of the Earth with an initial net acceleration a = 26.1 m/s2. The rate of fuel consumption is R = 6.90E+3 kg/s. The shuttle reaches outer space with a velocity of vo = 4632 m/s, and a mass of Mo = 1.45E+6 kg. How much fuel must be burned after this time to reach a velocity vf = 5158 m/s?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
well i got some answer..but all of them were wrong. Ve(dm/dt) = M(dv/dt), Vf-Vi= Ve(ln(Mi/Mf)...As it reaches outer space, I got acceleration of 43.38 and since gravity is not acting, added 9.81 to get 53.19. I set this to dv/dt. Got Ve. And plugged into formula...but did not work. What's wrong?
 
My only question is, on equation Ve(dm/dt) = M(dv/dt), how do we get dv/dt? I really don't get it..Is it constant?
 
Oops, I solved the problem! FYI answer is 5.96×10^4 kg.