How much ice melts when a 50 kg block slides 21.37 m and stops?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
sheri1987
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A block of ice at 0°C whose mass initially is m = 50.0 kg slides along a horizontal surface, starting at a speed vo = 5.72 m/s and finally coming to rest after traveling a distance d = 21.37 m. Compute the mass of ice melted as a result of the friction between the block and the surface. (Assume that all the heat generated owing to friction goes into the block of ice.)

Homework Equations


.5(M initial)V^2 = L * (Mass of ice)
a=L*(mass of ice)

The Attempt at a Solution



.5(50.0)(5.72)^2 = L *(Mass of ice)
I have all of the information I need to plug numbers into the first equation & solve for mass of ice, yet I don't have L. L is the latent heat of ice, I know that much, but what value do I use.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that L_f for water is:

L_f=334 kJ/kg
 
I tried and I'm still not getting the right answer. Any suggestions?