1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Much Ice Melts When Shot with a Lead Bullet?

1. Nov 16, 2012 #1
    I am trying to find the amount of ice that melts when a lead bullet traveling at 240 m/s at 30 °C. This textbook claims I should use the formula
    [tex] \dfrac{1}{2} m v^2 + m_{bullet} c_{bullet} \left|\Delta \right| T = L_f \Delta m[/tex]

What I don't understand is why I shouldn't first calculate how hot the bullet gets after embedding into the ice using
    [tex] \dfrac{1}{2} m v^2 = mc \left( T_f-30^{\circ}C \right)[/tex]

Then calculate the amount of ice that melts using:
    [tex] L \Delta m = -m_{bullet} c_{bullet} \left( T_f - T_i \right) [/tex]
    Where Tf is 0°C and Ti is the Tf after the embedding in the ice.

The data is that the mass of the bullet is 3.00g, so (1/2)mv^2 = mc(Tf-Ti) gives a Tf of 481 deg Celsius, which would cause a change in mass (melting of the ice into water) of .56 g but this is incorrect. Can anyone explain why this method is wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Changing the variable names to be consistent, you have:
    [tex] \dfrac{1}{2} m_b v^2 = m_bc_b \left( T_h-T_{30}\right)[/tex]
    [tex] L \Delta m = -m_b c_b \left( T_f - T_h \right)[/tex]
    Subtracting one from the other gives
    [tex] \dfrac{1}{2} m_b v^2 - L \Delta m = m_bc_b \left( T_f-T_{30}\right)[/tex]
    Rearranging
    [tex] \dfrac{1}{2} m_b v^2 - m_bc_b \left( T_f-T_{30}\right) = L \Delta m[/tex]
    For the bullet, [tex]\Delta T = T_f-T_{30} < 0[/tex], so [tex]- m_bc_b \left( T_f-T_{30}\right) = - m_bc_b \Delta T = +m_bc_b |\Delta T|[/tex]
    That gives the equation in the book, so you ought to get the same result either way. If you did not then you must have made a numerical error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook