How much is molecules and how much is else in 1cm3 od air?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the number of molecules and the space between them in 1cm3 of air. The diameter of a single molecule is 0.1nm and the given volume is 1cm3. The equations used include V=4/3*R3*π, n=N/Na=V/V0, and Na=6.022*10^23mol^-1. The calculated volume of a single molecule is 4.187*10cm3, but the subsequent formula results in a value less than one molecule, which is deemed impossible. The request is to use cm3 in all calculations.
An00b

Homework Statement

I will try to translate the best I can:
In 1cm3 of air, how much of it is molecules and how much is the space between them. diameter of 1 molecule is 0,1nm and is has a sphere shape.

so R=0,1nm
space=1cm3

Homework Equations

V=4/3*R3*∏
n=N/Na=V/V0
Na=6,022*1023mol-1
V0=22,4dm3

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated that the V of the molecule is 4,187*10cm3 but then when I use the other formula (N/Na=V/V0) I get that there is less then one molecule in that space which is impossible. Please use cm3 everywhere.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks everyone you've been much help, I need it for tomorrow and you've solved it so quickly.

1. How do you measure the amount of molecules in 1cm3 of air?

The amount of molecules in 1cm3 of air can be measured using a technique called Avogadro's Law. This law states that at standard temperature and pressure, one mole of any gas occupies a volume of 22.4 liters. By knowing the volume of the container and the molar mass of the gas, the number of molecules can be calculated.

2. What is the average number of molecules in 1cm3 of air?

The average number of molecules in 1cm3 of air is approximately 2.7 x 10^19 molecules. This value can vary depending on the temperature, pressure, and composition of the air.

3. How much of 1cm3 of air is composed of molecules?

In general, 1cm3 of air is mostly made up of molecules. The exact amount can vary, but on average, about 78% of air is nitrogen molecules, 21% is oxygen molecules, and the remaining 1% is made up of other gases such as carbon dioxide, water vapor, and noble gases.

4. What is the relationship between the number of molecules and the volume of air?

As the volume of air increases, the number of molecules also increases, assuming the temperature and pressure remain constant. This is because the density of air is not constant and can vary based on external factors such as altitude and weather conditions.

5. How does the number of molecules in 1cm3 of air affect air quality?

The number of molecules in 1cm3 of air is one factor that can affect air quality. High levels of certain molecules, such as pollutants, can contribute to poor air quality and have negative impacts on human health and the environment. Therefore, it is important to monitor and regulate the amount of certain molecules in the air to maintain good air quality.