1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Theory: How many molecules enter pinhole in vacuum?

1. Dec 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Pressure in vacuum is 10^-3 Torr. External Pressure is 1atm and 300K. Pinhole of 10^-10cm^2 made in vacuum. Assuming all molecules striking hole pass through, how many molecules leak into vacuum in 1hour?
    Answer: 10^17 molecules
    2. Relevant equations
    Flux = <v>*N/4V
    Rate = Flux times A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can make an DE: dN/dt = <v>N/4V*A and solve this but I have no info on N0, initial molecules. I also don't have volume. So I don't see how to obtain a numerical result.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2015 #2
    Ask yourself what pressure is.

4. Dec 10, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You only need N/V, molecules per volume, which you can get with the given information.
    Alternatively, take an arbitrary volume, it will cancel out in the calculations anyway.

5. Dec 10, 2015 #4
    I don't see how I can get this with the information
    P/kT = N/V = 2.45molecules/m^3 = ρ
    Also <KE> = 3/2KT = 6.21E-21J = m/2 *<v^2>.
    Now particles within vΔt make it to hole; also those within AvΔtρ make it.
    Now I'm stuck. I can't get v since I don't have m. Also I'm unsure whether to invoke a Maxwell Distribution to get all velocities.

6. Dec 10, 2015 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks like they are only asking for an order-of-magnitude answer. So, you can use any reasonable value for the mass of a molecule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted