• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How much of importance is a Minor ?

• Programs
  • Thread starter arianabedi
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

How much of importance is a "Minor" ?

Hey everyone,
I was going to write a VERY long post but then i figured it was in the wrong section :frown:

Either ways, I wanted to know, from all of you who have already dealt with university, that how much does the minor you choose matter?

As an example (or my case), my major is mechanical engineering, however my minor can be any of mechatronics, petroleum or electrical or maybe aerospace. As for the final aim, well my passion is to work in the high tech sector, parting between either space technologies (less likely) and sustainable engineering (mainly the design). Reason for choosing these big names is that i'm working really hard for them and I have a pretty good chance to get a job in these fields. (not right after i graduate, of course i need experience first.)

So i ask of you, does it matter what minor i choose as an undergraduate?
My personal feeling is that it almost doesnt matter at all, if so, i would love to see mechatronics and feel like a terminator inventor :biggrin: (well, i still have time to grow up)

Would love to hear your thoughts,

Arian.

Answers and Replies

Getting experience in the area you are interested in is certainly a good think. Officially I don't know that it matters that much. But if you want to work in the aerospace industry then you should probably do an aerospace minor if given the option so you learn about aerospace engineering.

alright!

thank you for the info

The courses are valuable. Calling them a minor is worthless.

The courses are valuable. Calling them a minor is worthless.
Thank you for the info :)