How much of importance is a Minor ?

• Programs
  • Thread starter arianabedi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of choosing a minor in university. The individual is majoring in mechanical engineering and is interested in the high tech sector, specifically space technologies and sustainable engineering. They question if the minor they choose will have an impact on their career prospects. The general consensus is that gaining experience in the desired field is beneficial, but officially, the choice of minor may not matter as much. However, if the goal is to work in a specific industry, choosing a relevant minor may be helpful.
arianabedi
How much of importance is a "Minor" ?

Hey everyone,
I was going to write a VERY long post but then i figured it was in the wrong section :frown:

Either ways, I wanted to know, from all of you who have already dealt with university, that how much does the minor you choose matter?

As an example (or my case), my major is mechanical engineering, however my minor can be any of mechatronics, petroleum or electrical or maybe aerospace. As for the final aim, well my passion is to work in the high tech sector, parting between either space technologies (less likely) and sustainable engineering (mainly the design). Reason for choosing these big names is that I'm working really hard for them and I have a pretty good chance to get a job in these fields. (not right after i graduate, of course i need experience first.)

So i ask of you, does it matter what minor i choose as an undergraduate?
My personal feeling is that it almost doesn't matter at all, if so, i would love to see mechatronics and feel like a terminator inventor :biggrin: (well, i still have time to grow up)

Would love to hear your thoughts,

Arian.

Physics news on Phys.org

Getting experience in the area you are interested in is certainly a good think. Officially I don't know that it matters that much. But if you want to work in the aerospace industry then you should probably do an aerospace minor if given the option so you learn about aerospace engineering.

alright!

thank you for the info

The courses are valuable. Calling them a minor is worthless.

TMFKAN64 said:
The courses are valuable. Calling them a minor is worthless.

Thank you for the info :)

1. How is the importance of a minor determined in a scientific study?

The importance of a minor in a scientific study is typically determined by its potential impact on the overall findings of the study. This is often evaluated through statistical analysis, where the minor is compared to other variables in the study to see if it has a significant effect.

2. Are minor details necessary to include in a scientific study?

In most cases, minor details are not necessary to include in a scientific study. However, if the minor detail is relevant to the research question or could potentially impact the results, it should be included to ensure a thorough and accurate study.

3. Can minor findings be just as important as major findings in a scientific study?

Yes, minor findings can be just as important as major findings in a scientific study. While major findings may have a larger impact on the overall results, minor findings can provide valuable insights and contribute to the overall understanding of the topic being studied.

4. How does the importance of a minor differ between different scientific disciplines?

The importance of a minor can vary between different scientific disciplines. In some fields, minor details may be crucial to the overall findings, while in others they may have less significance. It ultimately depends on the research question and methodology used in each discipline.

5. Can a minor detail be overlooked in a scientific study?

Yes, a minor detail can be overlooked in a scientific study, especially if it is not relevant to the research question or if it is deemed insignificant through statistical analysis. However, it is important for scientists to thoroughly review their data and consider all possible factors to ensure the accuracy and reliability of their findings.