1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much of what you know gets used?

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    I have a decent size reservoir of academic knowledge. I have a lot of expertise that goes unused at my job. If I changed jobs (the number of times of which is something I'm trying to minimize), I could probably use more of what I know.

That being said, there's this PhD that I work under. I have a broad idea of what he knows, and a general idea of what he does at his job. I'm nearly certain that much of what he knows also goes unused, although his job relates more strongly to his area of expertise....so he seems to be in the same boat as me, although he probably makes much much more that me, which would be a good perk.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

If you mean "how many facts do I use", not many. If you mean "how much of the analytic skills that were developed in school do I use", rather a lot.
  4. Nov 25, 2008 #3
    Put me down for what Vanadium 50 said.
  5. Dec 12, 2008 #4
  6. Dec 12, 2008 #5
    So why is it that the educational system teaches nothing but memorizing facts?
  7. Dec 13, 2008 #6
    have you taken a calc class?
    say proofs for example...
    sure, you can memorize them, but if you fail to understand them, you miss the whole point.

or a programming class,
    sure you can memorize syntax, but if you can't apply it to solve problems, your not programming.
  8. Dec 13, 2008 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's only true if you go to a crappy school. A good program will expect you to synthesize your knowledge.
  9. Dec 15, 2008 #8

Homework Helper

I can't think of any college degree program for which this is true. Certainly it may hold for high school and below, but no where else.
  10. Dec 15, 2008 #9

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That may certainly seem to be the case with many classes. OTOH, as a student, you are, by definition, supposed to be learning a body of knowledge. It's not realistic to claim mastery of a subject without knowing the factual basis of the subject.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?