How much physics in Fallout (games)

In summary, the conversation discussed the creation of a new thread for discussing the smell of elderberries and the unrealistic physics in the Fallout series. While the use of nuclear power and the treatment of radiation in the game are not scientifically accurate, the participants still enjoyed the franchise due to their ability to suspend disbelief.
James Holland
i was just thinking their isn't a thread for this that i have seen. i had no idea what forum to use and so i thought id start one here.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is also no thread for a smell of elderberries, but I am not convinced it is a reason to start one.

Likes billy_joule
I find it funny that your companion (dog, human, robot, etc.) can fall down off of a six story scaffold, say "ow" and then be at your side, perfectly healthy a minute or two later.

I love the Fallout series. That said, the physics is really awful. In the "lore" of the Fallout universe, they did not discover (or at least did not concentrate on) the transistor. Instead they concentrated on Nuclear power. Both are fails regarding physics. The fact that their computer terminals [powered on the entire time, btw] survived hundreds of years despite intense radiation is very unrealistic (and those terminals couldn't exist without the transistor -- crude or not -- and transistor based systems probably wouldn't have lasted that long). And their applications of Nuclear power are pure fantasy.

Still, I love the game. "Suspension of Disbelief" is a wonderful thing when enjoying fiction.

[Edit: and the Fallout interpretation of what radiation is, how it effects humans, and how it is "cured" (in the game) is just wrong on so many levels. It's just wrong. Very wrong. But again, "suspension of disbelief" comes to the rescue. I still love the Fallout franchise.]

1. How much real-life physics is incorporated into the Fallout games?

The Fallout games incorporate a significant amount of real-life physics, including gravity, momentum, and energy conservation. Many of the in-game mechanics, such as crafting and weapon mechanics, are based on real-world principles.

2. Are there any major deviations from real-life physics in the Fallout games?

While the Fallout games strive for realism in their physics, there are some deviations from real-life physics for the sake of gameplay and storytelling. For example, the radiation mechanics in the game do not accurately reflect how radiation works in real life.

3. How important is understanding physics in order to play and enjoy the Fallout games?

A basic understanding of physics can enhance the gaming experience in Fallout, as it can help players strategize and make more informed decisions. However, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of physics in order to play and enjoy the games.

4. Are there any notable examples of physics-based puzzles or challenges in the Fallout games?

Yes, there are several notable examples of physics-based puzzles and challenges in the Fallout games. One example is the hacking mini-game, which requires players to use logic and problem-solving skills to bypass security systems. Another example is the use of gravity and momentum in the game's building and crafting mechanics.

5. How do the physics in the Fallout games contribute to the overall gameplay experience?

The physics in the Fallout games play a crucial role in creating a realistic and immersive gameplay experience. They add an extra layer of challenge and strategy to the game, as well as help to create a sense of realism and immersion in the post-apocalyptic world.