The physical concepts in the double jump of the video games

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a double jump mechanic in video games and the physics behind it. Some possible explanations are mentioned, such as throwing clothes off fast enough or using surface tension, but it is ultimately deemed impossible due to the physical law of conservation of momentum. The conversation also touches on the importance of bringing concepts from other media, such as games, into the classroom for teaching purposes. Finally, there is some discussion about the phrase "common mechanic" and its potential to be interpreted as dismissive or offensive.
Thiago Cerqueira
Hi friends, I'm just thinking, in some video games, the characters have a double jump mechanical. What's the physics concepts behind this? I mean, it's really possible explain it? I saw a brazilian video about science in games in which the author talks about air resistance. It's a curious question, because involve video games and physics and depending, can be used to teach students.

Likes Marco Noguez
Physics news on Phys.org
Same as with cartoon characters walking horizontally over a ravine, and shooting straight down as soon as they realize there's no ground underneath ... :smile:

cliff.0.0.jpg

(c) Warner Bros

Attachments

• cliff.0.0.jpg
    cliff.0.0.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 569
Likes russ_watters
Basically there are no physics, btw earlier I saw a nerdist video on YouTube where he stated that if you somehow were strong enough you could throw your clothes off of you fast enough to double jump. Although this speed is much faster than we could ever hope to do...
https://nerdist.com/is-it-physically-possible-to-double-jump-because-science/

Let's assume that after the first phase/jump you have slowed to a stop and are about to fall down again. At this point your vertical velocity is zero.

In order to perform the second phase/jump you have to increase your vertical velocity/ momentum again.

Due to the physical law of conservation of momentum you would have to push something downwards (air, your clothes or something else). It's impossible to push enough air downwards fast enough with just your feet to achieve a significant increase in veetical momentum.

See also jet pack, or man carrying drones.

Likes Delta2
Got it. As many students play video games, the point of the question was to pick up a common mechanic and try to explain it with physical concepts, even if they are totally abstract and against the laws of physics. I think it is important to bring to the classroom, things seen in other media, such as games, for example.

Thiago Cerqueira said:
was to pick up a common mechanic
That reads as a bit elitist. Many of my friends are "common mechanics". If you fail to get a concept across to someone who has little formal Science then it's down to you and not to them.
The Intellectual Level is only one way to wisdom about the World.

Thiago Cerqueira said:
I think it is important to bring to the classroom, things seen in other media
Yeah, sure. Such as cinema, for example ? What would a student pick up from the bus jump sequence in 'Speed' ? (and: couldn't that time be used more effectively ?)

Thiago Cerqueira said:
What's the physics concepts behind this?
I think it is originated from something like this little lizard:

Mainly, it is expected to get some rebound if you hit something really strong and fast, right? If you are strong enough then you might get enough rebound from water or air to jump one, see what that little lizard doing that on water, right?

It's a pity (or luck?) that it's completely wrong. Even that lizard needs surface tension to do this: and we are so far off from the speed required to get any effect (not a jump: just some small effect) from hitting air that it's just hopeless.

sophiecentaur said:
That reads as a bit elitist. Many of my friends are "common mechanics".
You are joking, yes? Needs a smiley.

Likes sophiecentaur
DaveC426913 said:
You are joking, yes? Needs a smiley.
Yes - a bit like that but the term "common mechanic" is a bit dismissive and could be construed as referring to ability and not just experience. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
"Fanfare for the Common Man" would not have been chosen as a title for a modern piece of music, for the reason I'm hinting at.

sophiecentaur said:
...the term "common mechanic" is a bit dismissive...
But ... :frown:

that's not what he meant at all.

Let me add one word:

"...the point of the question was to pick up a common game mechanic and try to explain it..."

Likes Delta2
DaveC426913 said:
Very possibly but, in this current climate, it's the actual words and not the intended meaning that count. There is a list, as long as yer arm, of racial, social and gender based terms that are used by the 'nicest' people, who may mean no offence at all but which can raise hackles with someone. I hesitate to give examples but we all know what I mean.
PS I don't understand what "game" signifies.

DaveC426913 said:
But ... :frown:

I agree. Let's ask Thiago ...
For all I know, he meant: 'a common mechanism'.

I took it to mean "common feature". My kids understood what a double jump is.

1. What is a double jump in video games?

A double jump is a move in video games where a character can jump once in midair after already jumping off the ground. This allows the character to reach higher platforms or perform more complex maneuvers.

2. How is the double jump achieved in video games?

The double jump is achieved through programming and game mechanics. In most cases, the game engine allows for a character to jump twice before landing on the ground. This is often accompanied by a visual effect to make it look like the character is pushing off of something in midair.

3. Are there any real-life physics concepts involved in the double jump?

Yes, there are some real-life physics concepts involved in the double jump. The main concept is conservation of momentum, where the character uses the momentum from the first jump to propel themselves higher in the second jump. Additionally, the double jump may incorporate elements of gravity, acceleration, and air resistance to make it more realistic.

4. Can anyone perform a double jump in real life?

No, a double jump is not possible in real life as it defies the laws of physics. In order to jump twice in midair, a person would need to have an external force pushing them up, which is not possible without the aid of special equipment.

5. Why do video games include the double jump mechanic?

The double jump is often included in video games for gameplay purposes. It adds an extra layer of challenge and allows players to reach higher areas or perform more exciting moves. It also adds a sense of fantasy and magic to the game, making it more immersive for players.