What physics do I need to learn to do calculations for throwing water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics behind throwing objects, specifically water. Classical mechanics is needed to describe the motion of objects under the control of gravity, such as throwing a snowball. However, when it comes to liquids, simulating their behavior is difficult due to the complexity of water. Games often use tricks to make water appear realistic, but it is not a true simulation. The conversation also mentions the idea of using a 3D object and texturing it to look like water instead of trying to simulate it.
nexteon
How would I calculate the damage anything would take if a human were to pick up water and throw it? I would like to know this for a game idea I'm coming up with. I researched a bit online about certain physics that could apply (I.E: classical, modern, classical mechanical). I'm just not 100% sure if those are the correct physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean as in throwing a water balloon? Or a snowball or worse an ice ball?

lets pick snowball. When you throw it, it is under the control of gravity and you would need only Classical physics in particular kinematics to describe its motion. The motion without air resistance is basically a parabolic path That depends on the elevation thrown like 30 degrees or 45 degrees upward and the amount of force used to throw it.

Here’s more details on it

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

also Khan Academy will have a video describing the physics of it.

Last edited:
Broadly speaking "classical mechanical" is what you need.

Note however, that when it comes to liquids things get insanely difficult quite fast. Basically we don't have enough computing power to properly simulate behavior of water (which is why it almost always looks unnatural in games, think rivers that pretend to flow, waves that pretend to wave and waterfalls that pretend to fall). As far as I am aware games just use tricks to make the water look and behave reasonably OK, that's hardly a simulation.

nexteon said:
How would I calculate the damage anything would take
"Damage" is not a variable that classic physics deals with. It can model forces, accelerations, velocities, trajectories and air resistance. For fluids, as has been mentioned, even this much can quickly get out of hand.

For impacts, you get into materials science with things like stresses, strains, various moduli, yield strengths and such. But computation quickly gives way to experiment. You fire a bullet at a target and take pictures of the result.

jedishrfu said:
You mean as in throwing a water balloon? Or a snowball or worse an ice ball?

lets pick snowball. When you throw it, it is under the control of gravity and you would need only Classical physics in particular kinematics to describe its motion. The motion without air resistance is basically a parabolic path That depends on the elevation thrown like 30 degrees or 45 degrees upward and the amount of force used to throw it.

Here’s more details on it

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

also Khan Academy will have a video describing the physics of it.
I mean if you were in an ocean and got a handful of water, or dipped you hand in water and throw the droplets at speeds that would act like a bullet, etc. I got the idea from one piece an anime and also the effects of a tornado. In one piece a fish man called arlong, goes above the ocean and flicks his hands and he described the droplets as acting like a shotgun. For the tornado, I heard that wheat was picked up and able to penetrate concrete at high speeds. I thought it would be the same idea for water. Here’s a video below for the anime reference:

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
Broadly speaking "classical mechanical" is what you need.

Note however, that when it comes to liquids things get insanely difficult quite fast. Basically we don't have enough computing power to properly simulate behavior of water (which is why it almost always looks unnatural in games, think rivers that pretend to flow, waves that pretend to wave and waterfalls that pretend to fall). As far as I am aware games just use tricks to make the water look and behave reasonably OK, that's hardly a simulation.
Okay, I think I can still work with what you said about it. I thinking that instead of actually simulating water, it would be replace with a 3D object of some kind and be textured to look like water. If I wasn’t clear on how I imagined the water and throwing would act like check the video below:

Water texturing done with Gerstner waves looks reasonably OK, as long as you are happy with rather calm surface. Best water I can think of is in the Sea of Thieves.

But that's just faking the look of the surface, not simulation of water behavior in bulk.

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance water will travel when thrown?

The formula for calculating the distance water will travel when thrown is d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do I calculate the initial velocity of the water when thrown?

The initial velocity of the water can be calculated using the formula v0 = √(d/a), where v0 is the initial velocity, d is the distance, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s2 on Earth. This means that for every second an object falls, its velocity increases by 9.8 meters per second.

4. How can I calculate the time it takes for the water to reach a certain distance when thrown?

The time it takes for the water to reach a certain distance can be calculated using the formula t = √(2d/a), where t is the time, d is the distance, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can I use the same formula for throwing water in different environments?

Yes, the same formula can be used for throwing water in different environments as long as the acceleration due to gravity remains constant. However, other factors such as air resistance and wind can affect the accuracy of the calculations.