How much the gas has increased the speed of the plug?

• Thread starter kaspis245
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Speed
In summary, the problem involves a cannon made from a closed test tube with a plug and a volume of 30ml. Before closing the tube, 1ml of water is added and the temperature and humidity are given. The plug is shot at a temperature of 40oC and a known initial velocity. The calculation given involves using laws of kinematics and assuming no friction to determine the speed of the plug after exiting the tube. The use of conservation of energy is also suggested as a possible approach.
kaspis245

Homework Statement

The cannon is made from V=30ml test tube completely closed with a plug (diameter d=1,5cm; length l=3cm; mass m=5g). Before closing the test tube, V'=1ml of water is poured into it. Room temperature is 20oC , pressure p=105 Pa , relative humidity is σ=20%. When the temperature in the test tube becomes t'=40oC the plug is shot. I need to find how much the escaping gas has increased the speed of the plug after it had been shot.

I know that the initial speed with which the plug starts to move is v=12.134m/s.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fs3.postimg.org%2Fmfigiedg3%2Fimage.jpg

Homework Equations

Ideal gas laws.

The Attempt at a Solution

Vplug=πr2=5.3 cm3
Vfree space=30ml-5.3ml=24.7ml[/B]

I know that:
t/Vfree space=t'/V

What now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the plug completely embedded in the tube such that the pressure in the tube acts on the plug for a distance l=3cm?

How do you know v=12.134m/s? Is this the initial velocity while the plug is inside the tube or is this the velocity exiting the tube after traveling 3cm?

Are we to assume there is no friction acting on the plug inside the tube?

The plug is completely embedded in the tube and the pressure does act on the plug for a distance l=3cm.

v=12.134m/s is the speed which I've calculated using laws of kinematics. I know that h=17cm, α=45o, s=5m. This is the speed with which the plug starts moving when it exits the test tube. There is no doubt that this is the correct speed.

It is said that the plug's and the test tube's friction force is proportional to their contact area. I don't really know how to use this information.

Can you show your work on that calculation? I think you have left out some important information here.

Also you'll have to assume some coefficient of kinetic friction.

Here's the calculation. As I've said, there's no doubt that this is the correct answer.
20150407_105518.jpg

I don't know the coefficient of kinetic friction, it is not given in the problem.

I seem to remember this part of the problem from a previous thread.

Do you think you could you use conservation of energy for this problem?

I suppose so, but first I have to know what temperature and humidity has to do with all of this.

Well do you agree there is a gas trapped inside the tube that has a certain pressure and temperature?

And just to be clear, what we are trying to show is that the final answer will come out to be the same as the calculated value of v=12.134 m/s.

Last edited:

1. How does the amount of gas added affect the speed of the plug?

The amount of gas added to a plug will directly impact its speed. This is because gas is a source of energy that is converted into motion. The more gas that is added, the more energy is available to move the plug, resulting in a higher speed.

2. Is there a limit to how much gas can increase the speed of the plug?

Yes, there is a limit to how much gas can increase the speed of the plug. This is because there is a maximum amount of energy that the engine can convert into motion. Adding more gas beyond this limit will not result in a further increase in speed.

3. Does the type of gas used affect the speed of the plug?

Yes, the type of gas used can affect the speed of the plug. Different types of gas have different energy densities, which can impact the amount of energy available for motion. Additionally, some engines are designed to run on specific types of gas, which can also affect the speed of the plug.

4. How does the size of the engine affect the gas's impact on plug speed?

The size of the engine can affect the gas's impact on plug speed. A larger engine will require more gas to achieve the same speed as a smaller engine. However, a larger engine may also have a higher maximum speed, so the impact of gas may differ depending on the size of the engine.

5. Can other factors besides gas affect the speed of the plug?

Yes, there are other factors besides gas that can affect the speed of the plug. These can include the design and condition of the engine, the weight and aerodynamics of the vehicle, and external factors such as wind resistance and road conditions. All of these factors can impact the efficiency and performance of the engine, ultimately affecting the speed of the plug.