Identical ideal gas in two different volume containers

In summary, the conversation discusses an ideal gas problem involving two containers, A and B, connected by a thin tube. Container A has a pressure of 5*10^5 [Pa] and a temperature of 300 [K], while container B has a pressure of 1*10^5 [Pa] and a temperature of 400 [K]. The valve between the two containers is opened to allow the pressures to equalize. The problem is solved using the ideal gas law and the total number of molecules is found to remain constant after equalizing. The final pressure in both containers is the same. The question is from a textbook, which can be found by searching the given text in quotes on Google.
keltik

Homework Statement

Container A in Fig. 19-22 holds an ideal gas at a pressure of [itex]5*10^5 [Pa][/itex] and a temperature of [itex]300 [K][/itex].

It is connected by a thin tube (and a closed valve) to container B, with four times the volume of A.

Container B holds the same ideal gas at a pressure of [itex]1*10^5 [Pa][/itex] and a temperature of [itex]400 [K][/itex]

The valve is opened to allow the pressures to equalize, but the temperature of each container is maintained.

What is then the pressure?

(I hope you can make up the problem-figure by yourself, if not i can post a picture.)

Homework Equations

only the "ideal gas law":

[itex]P*V=n*R*T[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

When the state is "valve closed" then the following values hold:
Information about container A:
Volume: [itex]V_{A} = \frac{V_{B}}{4} [m^3][/itex]
Temperature: [itex]300 [K][/itex]
Pressure: [itex]5*10^5 [Pa][/itex]

Information about container B:
Volume: [itex]V_{B} = 4*V_{A}[/itex]
Temperature: [itex]400 [K][/itex]
Pressure: [itex]1*10^5 [Pa][/itex]

Ok, setting up the "ideal gas law" for container A gives equation:
[itex]P_{A}*V_{A}=n_{A}*R*T_{A}[/itex]

Plugging in Temperature, Pressure and the gas constant R, yields:
[itex]5*10^5*V_{A}=n_{A}*8.3*300[/itex]

Solving that for Moles in container A, yields:
[itex]n_{A}=200.8*V_{A}[/itex]

Doing exactly the same for container B, yields:
[itex]n_{B}=30.1*V_{B}[/itex]

in that equation exchanging [itex]V_{B}[/itex] with [itex]4*V_{A}[/itex] gives:
[itex]n_{B}=30.1*4*V_{A}[/itex], which is in turn:
[itex]n_{B}=120.4*V_{B}[/itex]

A sanity check on these Mole-numbers reveals that these values could be correct, since there is a higher pressure in container A with the lower Volume than there is pressure in container B. So these numbers make sense. But i still don't have any values for it, so i decided to look at the "valve opened and equalized"-state:

Equalized means that container A gives container B a certain amount of his Molecules, since it has more pressure (although the temperature is higher in container B, it cannot outweigh the overpressure of container A)

This happens isothermically, which means [itex]T_{A} = 300 [K][/itex] and [itex]T_{B} = 400 [K][/itex] remain as they are.

My forecast is that in container A the pressure is going to be less and in container B the pressure is going to be higher than in their respective "valve is closed"-state, but i can't give you numbers.

Also total volume is now:
[itex]V_{C} = V_{A} + V_{B}[/itex]

And the total number of molecules is:
[itex]n_{C} = n_{A} + n_{B}[/itex]

But plugging those values in does not cancel something out (or i was too stupid for it?), thus yielding no concrete values.

Can someone give me one or two hints?

Thanks for your time. (I know i could look into the solutions manual, but that would be too easy...)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would still keep both containers as separate parts in the equation, as their temperature is different.
Assuming n*VB moles flow from A to B, can you calculate the pressure in A and B?

What you are missing is that in the final state, the pressures in the two chambers will be the same.

Chestermiller said:
What you are missing is that in the final state, the pressures in the two chambers will be the same.

That is correct, i didnt write that down, but i am aware of that.

Thank you guys i looked into the solutions manual for hints.

The "trick" basically is:
- i know that the total molecules will not change (no leakage) after equalizing, so i can write:

[itex]n_{total, closed} = n_{total, equalized}[/itex]

which can be written as:

[itex]n_{A,closed} + n_{B,closed} = n_{A,equalized} + n_{B,qualized}[/itex]

the rest is "use the ideal gas law, plug everything in and insert it here, cancel out", out comes the "equalized pressure".

Last edited:
Hi, Can you tell me which textbook does this question comes from?

Welcome to physicsforums Ahamed.
This thread is 1.5 years old and keltik didn't make posts since then. I'll close the thread, for the unlikely case that he will ever see that he can send you a private message.

Ahamed said:
Hi, Can you tell me which textbook does this question comes from?

Hi Ahamed,

Google "Container A in Fig. 19-22 holds" (in quotes), and you will get lots of hits to the problem... :-)

What is an identical ideal gas?

An identical ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are all proportional to each other. It also assumes that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other.

How do the volumes of the two containers affect the gas?

The volumes of the two containers affect the gas by changing the pressure and temperature of the gas. According to the ideal gas law, the volume and temperature are inversely proportional, so as the volume increases, the temperature decreases. The pressure and volume are also inversely proportional, so as the volume increases, the pressure decreases.

What happens to the gas when the volume of one container is doubled?

When the volume of one container is doubled, the volume of the gas also doubles. This means that the pressure and temperature of the gas will change accordingly. The pressure will decrease by half, and the temperature will also decrease by half.

Can the gas exist in two different volumes at the same time?

No, the gas cannot exist in two different volumes at the same time. According to the ideal gas law, the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas must all be consistent to maintain equilibrium. If the gas were to exist in two different volumes, it would create an imbalance in the system.

How does the volume affect the density of the gas?

The volume of the gas has an inverse relationship with its density. As the volume increases, the density decreases. This is because the same amount of gas particles are spread out over a larger volume, resulting in a lower concentration or density.