How much time does an object use to travel.

In summary, the object travels 12 meters down a plane in a constant acceleration of 1 meter per second squared.
Nerikk

Homework Statement

How much time does the object use to travel 12m down a plane. The object has a constant acceleration of 1m/s2 and the starting velocity is 5m/s.

Homework Equations

S=V(starting velocity)*t+1/2*a*t2

The Attempt at a Solution

Here I struggle with changing the formula. I could just leave both t's on the left side and then use square root. But I have a slight feeling that this is not right.

Physics news on Phys.org
I could just leave both t's on the left side and then use square root. But I have a slight feeling that this is not right.
Very close - for that to work, the LHS needs to be a complete square.

Hint: quadratic equation

Aside:
I'm intrigued by the wording. Is time the sort of thing that gets used up by objects ... you know, like a car uses petrol?
Probably the question wants to know how much time is taken or occupied by an activity.

Yea, it's quite hard to word yourself correctly in another language. Especially in math. But I will check out quadratic equation! Thank you!

Oh it was a translation?! Well done - I couldn't tell. I wondered if maybe you just had a new-age physics teacher ;)
Since English is a second language ... I'll say a bit more.
The equation you are trying to solve can be put in form: ##At^2+Bt+C=0## - do so: A, B, and C, may be made of several variables.
You should recognize that as the equation for the roots of a parabola... you should know an equation to solve that. $$t\in \frac{-B\pm\sqrt{B^2-4AC}}{2A}$$

I think I need some more help on that one. First of all how do I achieve 0 on the right side of the equation. Second how do I determine the variables?

And thank you for all your help! It seems like I lack some fundamentals in physics, heh...

1. How is time measured for an object's travel?

Time is measured in seconds (s), minutes (min), hours (hr), or other units depending on the speed and distance of the object's travel.

2. Does an object's mass affect its travel time?

Yes, the mass of an object can affect its travel time. Heavier objects require more energy to move and may take longer to reach a certain distance compared to lighter objects.

3. Is the speed of an object constant throughout its travel time?

No, the speed of an object may vary during its travel depending on factors such as acceleration, deceleration, and external forces.

4. How does the medium through which an object travels affect its travel time?

The medium through which an object travels can affect its travel time by providing resistance or assistance. For example, an object may travel faster through air than through water due to differences in density and friction.

5. Can the angle of an object's travel affect its travel time?

Yes, the angle of an object's travel can affect its travel time. For example, an object traveling at an angle will take longer to reach a certain distance compared to an object traveling in a straight line.