1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much time does an object use to travel.

1. Nov 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How much time does the object use to travel 12m down a plane. The object has a constant acceleration of 1m/s2 and the starting velocity is 5m/s.

2. Relevant equations
    S=V(starting velocity)*t+1/2*a*t2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here I struggle with changing the formula. I could just leave both t's on the left side and then use square root. But I have a slight feeling that this is not right.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Very close - for that to work, the LHS needs to be a complete square.

Hint: quadratic equation

Aside:
    I'm intrigued by the wording. Is time the sort of thing that gets used up by objects ... you know, like a car uses petrol?
    Probably the question wants to know how much time is taken or occupied by an activity.

4. Nov 2, 2014 #3
    Yea, it's quite hard to word yourself correctly in another language. Especially in math. But I will check out quadratic equation! Thank you!

5. Nov 2, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh it was a translation?! Well done - I couldn't tell. I wondered if maybe you just had a new-age physics teacher ;)
    Since English is a second language ... I'll say a bit more.
    The equation you are trying to solve can be put in form: ##At^2+Bt+C=0## - do so: A, B, and C, may be made of several variables.
    You should recognize that as the equation for the roots of a parabola... you should know an equation to solve that. $$t\in \frac{-B\pm\sqrt{B^2-4AC}}{2A}$$

6. Nov 3, 2014 #5
    I think I need some more help on that one. First of all how do I achieve 0 on the right side of the equation. Second how do I determine the variables?

And thank you for all your help! It seems like I lack some fundamentals in physics, heh...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted