How much vitamin (A, B, etc.) can I take in one day?

• Thread starter Nick666
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Before side effects kick in. 20 times the normal dose ? 100 times ? Is there such a thing as acute hypervitaminosis or will it develop in the following days ? If I take a 10 times normal dose, must I wait 10+10 days or more before taking a new high dosage ?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Before side effects kick in. 20 times the normal dose ? 100 times ? Is there such a thing as acute hypervitaminosis or will it develop in the following days ? If I take a 10 times normal dose, must I wait 10+10 days or more before taking a new high dosage ?
Why do you ask? You can probably look up the LD50 dose of each (if there even is one), but that's higher than when you start to have side effects.

i found some multivitamin supplement thats like a vannila flavoured chocolate bar that tastes like heaven

berkeman
Mentor
i found some multivitamin supplement thats like a vannila flavoured chocolate bar that tastes like heaven
What does that have to do with the question you asked in your OP?

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This article is an intro to hypervitaminosis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis

The fat-soluble vitamins, A, D, E, and K are retained by the body longer than the water-soluble vitamins, so overdosing on these can be done without realizing it. Still, it is possible to overdose on some of the B-complex vitamins. You should discuss this with your physician.

Just like you shouldn't take too many antacid tablets (because they taste good), don't abuse vitamins, either. With all the different varieties of candy bars around, you should be able to find a non-therapeutic version to abuse instead.

Evo
Mentor
Do not take more than the RDA of vitamins unless directed to do so by an accredited doctor. We do not give out medical advice here. See a doctor if you think you have medical issues that need treatment.