Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much vitamin (A, B, etc.) can I take in one day?

1. Sep 18, 2014 #1
    Before side effects kick in. 20 times the normal dose ? 100 times ? Is there such a thing as acute hypervitaminosis or will it develop in the following days ? If I take a 10 times normal dose, must I wait 10+10 days or more before taking a new high dosage ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Why do you ask? You can probably look up the LD50 dose of each (if there even is one), but that's higher than when you start to have side effects.

4. Sep 18, 2014 #3
    i found some multivitamin supplement thats like a vannila flavoured chocolate bar that tastes like heaven

5. Sep 18, 2014 #4

berkeman

What does that have to do with the question you asked in your OP?

6. Sep 18, 2014 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This article is an intro to hypervitaminosis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis

The fat-soluble vitamins, A, D, E, and K are retained by the body longer than the water-soluble vitamins, so overdosing on these can be done without realizing it. Still, it is possible to overdose on some of the B-complex vitamins. You should discuss this with your physician.

Just like you shouldn't take too many antacid tablets (because they taste good), don't abuse vitamins, either. With all the different varieties of candy bars around, you should be able to find a non-therapeutic version to abuse instead.

7. Sep 18, 2014 #6

Evo

Do not take more than the RDA of vitamins unless directed to do so by an accredited doctor. We do not give out medical advice here. See a doctor if you think you have medical issues that need treatment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook