Should i add a Phosphorus supplement to my diet?

• Medical
  • Thread starter thankz
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on whether they should add a phosphorus supplement to their diet, as they are currently taking a multi-vitamin and iron pill, and plan to consume milk, whey protein, creatine monohydrate, oatmeal, apples, and a microwave dinner as part of their upcoming diet. They are also curious about the use of DHEA, but acknowledge that it is best to consult a doctor or registered dietitian for advice.
thankz
so should I add a phosphorus supplement to my diet? I currently take 1 walmart brand multi vitamin and half and iron pill a day. I don't eat much meat but I drink milk to make up for the protein and calcium, i'll be going on a diet soon concisting of about 4 cups of milk, 50 grams of whey protein and creatine monohydrate mixed with lemonaid during workouts. for breakfast it will be a bowl of oatmeal and apples for fiber and for dinner 1 400-600 cal microwave dinner.

also what do you guys think of DHEA, before when I was working out I was taking half a pill and I don't know if it was doing anything but it had this side effect of taking the water out of my skin?

Biology news on Phys.org
This is best answered by your doctor or nutritionist. I'm sorry but we can't help you further on this.

Please note that nutritionists are not legally protected professions in many countries. This means that anyone could begin calling themselves a nutritionist and go about dispensing advice with no training. A dietitian however is a credited, legally protected profession concerned with advising on diet.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. Is a phosphorus supplement necessary for a healthy diet?

It depends on your individual needs and dietary habits. Most individuals can obtain sufficient phosphorus through a balanced diet, but certain medical conditions or dietary restrictions may require a supplement.

2. What are the benefits of adding a phosphorus supplement to my diet?

Phosphorus is essential for bone health, as it helps to build and maintain strong bones. It also plays a role in energy production and cell growth. However, excessive intake of phosphorus can lead to negative health effects, so it's important to consult with a healthcare professional before adding a supplement.

3. What are the potential risks of taking a phosphorus supplement?

If taken in excess, phosphorus can contribute to kidney disease, heart disease, and other health issues. It can also interact with certain medications. It's important to follow recommended dosage guidelines and consult with a doctor before taking a supplement.

4. How can I ensure I am getting enough phosphorus in my diet?

Phosphorus is found in a variety of foods, including dairy products, meat, fish, nuts, and legumes. If you're concerned about your phosphorus intake, it's best to consult with a registered dietitian who can help you create a balanced meal plan.

5. Are there any specific populations that may benefit from a phosphorus supplement?

Individuals with kidney disease, malabsorption issues, or a vegan or vegetarian diet may benefit from a phosphorus supplement. However, it's important to consult with a healthcare professional before adding a supplement to your routine.