How much work is done by the lifting force?

In summary: This is a common method taught in engineering for quick "ballpark" estimates of integrals, without evaluating the function at intermediate points to get a Riemann sum, which is what the integral does.In summary, we discussed the concept of work done on an object by a force, and how to calculate it using various equations and principles such as the work-energy theorem. We also encountered a problem of finding the work done by a varying force, which can be approximated by finding the area under a curve on a graph.
tica86
An object of mass 0.550 kg is lifted from the floor to a height of 3.50m at a constant speed.
Can someone please check my answers, thanks!

1) How much work is done by the lifting force?

(0.550kg)(9.80m/s^2)(3.50)=18.9J

2) How much work is done by the Earth on the object?
I was told it was 0 but I think it's -18.9J
because W=-mgh

3) What is the net work done on the object?
Again I was told it was 18.9 J which I don't think it's correct
I think it's 0

4) What is the change in kinetic energy of the object?

5) What is the kinetic energy just before it hits the floor?
18.9J

6) What is its velocity?
This one I'm a little confused with, is it
(1/2)mv^2=18.9J
v^2=1/2m-18.9J

Also, I have no idea how to try and solve the following:
A force acts on an object of mass 0.425 kg. The force varies with position. Find the work done by the force in moving the object from 0.40m to 1.20m.

Physics news on Phys.org
tica86 said:
An object of mass 0.550 kg is lifted from the floor to a height of 3.50m at a constant speed.
Can someone please check my answers, thanks!

1) How much work is done by the lifting force?

(0.550kg)(9.80m/s^2)(3.50)=18.9J

2) How much work is done by the Earth on the object?
I was told it was 0 but I think it's -18.9J
because W=-mgh

3) What is the net work done on the object?
Again I was told it was 18.9 J which I don't think it's correct
I think it's 0

4) What is the change in kinetic energy of the object?

5) What is the kinetic energy just before it hits the floor?
18.9J
You went against the flow of opinion, and got them all correct, nice work! (I'm assuming that in (5) and (6) below, the object is dropped to the floor after its height of 3.5 m is reached).
6) What is its velocity?
This one I'm a little confused with, is it
(1/2)mv^2=18.9J
Yes
v^2=1/2m-18.9J
algebra error...v^2 = 2(18.9)/m, solve for v.
Also, I have no idea how to try and solve the following:
A force acts on an object of mass 0.425 kg. The force varies with position. Find the work done by the force in moving the object from 0.40m to 1.20m.
More info is needed to get a numerical value. Did you leave out something?

PhanthomJay said:
You went against the flow of opinion, and got them all correct, nice work! (I'm assuming that in (5) and (6) below, the object is dropped to the floor after its height of 3.5 m is reached).
Yes algebra error...v^2 = 2(18.9)/m, solve for v.More info is needed to get a numerical value. Did you leave out something?

Sorry I attached the image that deals with the last problem

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,271
tica86 said:
Sorry I attached the image that deals with the last problem
If you can find the equation of that curve, then use the definition of work
[tex] W = \int Fdx[/tex] evaluated betwen the 2 given distances. Or, as a close approximation, use the average force (the force at x = 0.8) times the distance traveled in that interval.

since analytical dependence of F(x) is not given, and since the plot F vs x is shown on graph paper, student probably is expected to find the area under the curve by counting unit squares to find the work

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. It is a measure of energy transfer.

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The unit for work is joules (J).

3. What is the lifting force?

The lifting force is the force that is applied to an object to lift it against the force of gravity. It is usually provided by a machine or a person.

4. How is the lifting force related to work?

The lifting force is directly related to the amount of work done. The more force applied, the more work is done. However, the distance the object is lifted also plays a role in determining the amount of work done.

5. What factors affect the amount of work done by the lifting force?

The amount of work done by the lifting force is affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the distance the object is lifted, and the angle at which the force is applied. Friction and other external forces may also impact the amount of work done.