How much work is done when carrying a load up a set of stairs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blonde1551
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Work
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Blonde1551
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A man carries a 70.0 kg box. He caries it down a hallway 10.0 m, up a set of stairs for 4.0 meters, and down another hallway for 15.0 meters. How much work does he do?

Homework Equations



W=fd

The Attempt at a Solution



I am confused because I don't feel like there is enough information to answer. The problem doesn't say if he is walking at a constant velocity or not, but I assume he is. And it doesn't say what direction he is walking in. I feel like this is a trick question and no work is being done, but I am not sure because he walks up a set of steps.

I would guess that the work being done is only when he is walking up the steps?
And the answer would be (70.0)(9.81)(4.0). Would this be correct?

Can someone please explain this to me?
Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the question is 'how much work is done on the box' in which case I agree with your answer.
 
The main thing I don't like about the question is that "up a set of stairs for 4.0 meters" would normally mean the distance walked (up the line of slope). Being in the context of distances along horizontals reinforces that. But to answer the question, without being told the angle of the flight of steps, you need to assume it's the vertical distance.