Work done by a person climbing stairs

In summary, to calculate the work done by a 52.98 kg person climbing a set of 0.20 m stairs in 2.96 seconds, we can use the equation w=F*d. The force used in this situation can be calculated as the net force, which is zero since the person is climbing at a constant speed. Therefore, the power required to achieve this is also zero.
Sen.Lemonsnout

Homework Statement

Calculate the work done by a 52.98 kg person, who climbs a set of 0.20 m tall stairs (starting from rest) in 2.96s.
Calculate the power required to achieve this.

Homework Equations

w=F•d

The Attempt at a Solution

My issue with this question has been identifying the force which is acting in the situation. I know that Fg applies (mass • 9.81 m/s) and that there must be an applied force of some sort because the person is moving (working against gravity, I suppose?), but I am not sure which information I should use to calculate the "F" variable in the w=F•d equation. I think they want the power in watts (Joules per second).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sen.Lemonsnout! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Assume that he climbs at a constant speed …

then the net force is zero, so the force he uses is … ? :wink:

Thanks- I was definitely overthinking things!

1. What is work done by a person climbing stairs?

The work done by a person climbing stairs is the amount of energy expended to overcome the force of gravity and move their body weight up the stairs. It is measured in joules (J) or calories (cal) and is dependent on the height and number of stairs climbed.

2. How is work done calculated when climbing stairs?

The work done when climbing stairs is calculated by multiplying the force (in newtons) required to move the body weight up the stairs by the vertical distance traveled (in meters). This can be represented by the equation W = F*d.

3. Is climbing stairs considered a form of exercise?

Yes, climbing stairs is a form of exercise as it requires the body to use energy and exert force to move against the force of gravity. It can help improve cardiovascular health, strengthen leg muscles, and burn calories.

4. How does the weight of a person affect the work done when climbing stairs?

The weight of a person does affect the work done when climbing stairs. Heavier individuals will require more force to move their body weight up the stairs, thus resulting in a higher amount of work done compared to lighter individuals.

5. Can work done when climbing stairs be used as a measure of fitness?

The amount of work done when climbing stairs can be used as a measure of fitness to some extent. Regularly climbing stairs can improve one's physical fitness, but it is not the only factor that determines overall fitness. Other factors such as diet, overall physical activity, and genetics also play a role.