How much work to move a charge?

In summary, the formula for work is W = qV, where q is the charge and V is the potential difference. The answer to the given question depends on the type of bulb in the circuit, as it may provide resistance and affect the charge's movement.
uwmphysics
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the formula for work?

I have to answer this question:

How much work does a 12-V battery do in pushing 2mC of charge through a circuit containing 1 light bulb.
A. .006 J
B. .012 J
C. .024 J
D. The answer depends on the type of bulb in the circuit.

Well either there is a formula I don't know, or the choice d is right. I was thinking about d, that it depends on the bulb. Because if the bulb would some how provide resistance or stop the circuit that could prevent the charge from moving...So that's a possibility, and then if there's some formula I don't know, then I need that to solve for an answer.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
well work is the potential energy difference - and in this case its qV

A definition of potential difference (or voltage) is work done per unit charge; [itex]V = \frac{W}{q}[/itex]. Re-arranging this gives [itex]W = qV[/itex], as fargoth said. This definition of potential difference is useful to remember.

1. How is work defined in terms of moving a charge?

Work is defined as the force exerted on a charge multiplied by the distance the charge is moved in the direction of the force. It is represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

2. How much work is required to move a charge in an electric field?

The amount of work required to move a charge in an electric field depends on the strength of the electric field and the distance the charge is moved. The work done is equal to the product of the charge and the potential difference between the initial and final positions of the charge.

3. What is the relationship between work and the electric potential?

The electric potential is the amount of work required to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field. Therefore, the electric potential is directly proportional to the amount of work done in moving a charge.

4. How does the direction of the electric field affect the work done in moving a charge?

If the electric field and the direction of motion of the charge are parallel, then the work done will be positive. However, if the electric field and the direction of motion are opposite, the work done will be negative. This is because the work done is in the same direction as the force exerted by the electric field.

5. Can the amount of work done on a charge be negative?

Yes, the amount of work done can be negative if the charge is moved in the direction opposite to the electric field. This means that the force and the direction of motion are opposite, resulting in a negative value for work done.