How should I tailor my Master's in Applied Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a master's degree in a specific field to increase their chances of finding employment. They also mention the importance of excelling academically and seeking out programs that are tailored towards industry jobs. The conversation ends with a specific program being suggested and the speaker being encouraged to research and ask questions before making a decision.
grandpa2390
so at this point, my interest in going back for a master's degree (my bachelor is in physics), is because I just want to find a job. But this time I want to be smarter about it than I was the first time around. I want to go in with a plan. When I'm working on my Applied Physics degree, I can get a "general applied physics" education, or I can get one that is focused. based on my experience with my bachelor's degree, I think it best to focus my master's degree towards a career in something specific. I need to learn some useful skills that can get me employment.

I realize there are numerous career opportunities available, but what are the most "realistic" ones? I mean what are the ones that I will be most likely to find work in? Some careers are so obscure that they only have one position on the planet. Others have many openings but 10,000 applicants applying for those openings. Are there any "realistic" ones that I might actually have a chance of getting if I focus my degree towards it?

At this point I just want something to shoot for. I may like it, I may not. If I don't, I'll be ok if I am well-compensated. And I'll have an experience to enable me to redirect my focus.

edit: when I say well-compensated, I would be ecstatic to make more than 50k a year.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like you ascribe your career woes to the subject of study.

That could be. But my experience is that folks with employment challenges with STEM degrees are often in that situation due to their mediocrity rather than their field of study and concentrations.

Be excellent in all you do, and the whole career thing will go better.

Forget "tailoring" that masters in Applied Physics and tailor that 4.0 GPA, several publications, and great recommendations.

Suck less.

Likes berkeman and marcusl
Dr. Courtney said:

That could be. But my experience is that folks with employment challenges with STEM degrees are often in that situation due to their mediocrity rather than their field of study and concentrations.

Forget "tailoring" that masters in Applied Physics and tailor that 4.0 GPA, several publications, and great recommendations.

Suck less.

I'm not blaming my subject (after all I am attempting to go further in that subject, aren't I). I admitted that I sucked during round 1. I am trying to not repeat my same mistakes during round 2.

Are you trying to say it won't matter if choose physics and engineering, or geophysics, or acoustics, as long as I have a 4.0 gpa, have great recommendations, and have published several papers?

Last edited:
Dr. Courtney said:

Suck less.
Do you publish papers in a Master's Degree Program?

You might check into the Professional Science Masters programs that are available. They grant masters aimed specifically at industrial jobs. see https://www.asbmb.org/asbmbtoday/201508/Education/Masters/ for general info and https://www.professionalsciencemasters.org/ for specific programs.

Likes grandpa2390
gleem said:
You might check into the Professional Science Masters programs that are available. They grant masters aimed specifically at industrial jobs. see https://www.asbmb.org/asbmbtoday/201508/Education/Masters/ for general info and https://www.professionalsciencemasters.org/ for specific programs.
you're right. A PSM program sounds very enticing. I don't understand what Fig. 7 is saying. what do the percentages represent?

grandpa2390 said:
I don't understand what Fig. 7 is saying. what do the percentages represent?

I would interpret it as the results of a survey in which respondents were asked to rank the benefits they received from a PSM program e.g., 39.7% said a PSM facilitated a career change.

grandpa2390 said:

I know little of data analytics except that it is growing field with a good employment outlook. WRT their program it is accredited by a recognized higher education body but more importantly for you it is also accredited by the National Professional Science Masters Association the body that oversee these programs nationally.

You should certainly look more deeply into the course of study because it is so vast to make sure that you choose wisely and end up doing something you like and can be excited about. Look at different programs and compare so that you can ask intelligent question about the program that you are interested in.

Likes grandpa2390
gleem said:
I would interpret it as the results of a survey in which respondents were asked to rank the benefits they received from a PSM program e.g., 39.7% said a PSM facilitated a career change.
I know little of data analytics except that it is growing field with a good employment outlook. WRT their program it is accredited by a recognized higher education body but more importantly for you it is also accredited by the National Professional Science Masters Association the body that oversee these programs nationally.

You should certainly look more deeply into the course of study because it is so vast to make sure that you choose wisely and end up doing something you like and can be excited about. Look at different programs and compare so that you can ask intelligent question about the program that you are interested in.
thanks. you've given me much to think about :)

@grandpa2390 If you can remember let us know how things work out for you. Maybe you can help others by sharing your experiences.

gleem said:
@grandpa2390 If you can remember let us know how things work out for you. Maybe you can help others by sharing your experiences.
absolutely! I know a guy who works in data science, I told him of my interest and he has offered to advise me. :)
One thing I want to make sure of is that I enroll in a program that is rigorous and respected. :) I've done a bit of research on that particular school, and it doesn't get a lot of respect... So I'll keep looking.

as Dr Courtney told me in the past, having gone to a school in Louisiana hasn't done me much good as far as Academic Rigour is concerned.

OP: If you're planning on obtaining a terminal masters (not continuing on to a PhD) with the objective of enhancing your career opportunities, you should at least consider an MS engineering degree such as ME or EE and becoming a licensed professional engineer (PE). Those credentials have far more value in the job market than a Masters in Applied Physics.

1. What are the career options with a Master's in Applied Physics?

With a Master's in Applied Physics, you can pursue a career in a variety of fields such as research and development, engineering, data analysis, and teaching. You can also work in industries such as aerospace, defense, energy, and healthcare.

2. How can I tailor my Master's in Applied Physics to my specific interests?

One way to tailor your Master's in Applied Physics is to choose elective courses that align with your interests. For example, if you are interested in renewable energy, you can take courses in solar or wind energy. Another way is to do a research project or thesis in your desired area of specialization.

3. Is it beneficial to do an internship during my Master's in Applied Physics?

Yes, doing an internship during your Master's in Applied Physics can provide you with practical experience and help you develop important skills. It can also help you network and make connections in your desired field.

4. What skills will I gain from a Master's in Applied Physics?

A Master's in Applied Physics will provide you with a strong foundation in physics principles and mathematical techniques. You will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Additionally, you will gain hands-on experience with various laboratory equipment and software.

5. Can I pursue a PhD after completing a Master's in Applied Physics?

Yes, a Master's in Applied Physics can be a stepping stone to a PhD program in physics or a related field. However, it is important to research the specific requirements and prerequisites for the PhD program you are interested in before applying.