How stuff in empty space cools down?

In summary, according to @BL4CKB0X97 , thermal radiation (which includes light if the object is hot enough) is emitted from any object warmer than absolute zero. Only when the object gets to a certain temperature will it start emitting visible light as well.
Quantum Velocity
If a body have heat and floating in space do it loss heat?
If it does loss heat and the how?
Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Quantum Velocity said:
If a body have heat and floating in space do it loss heat?
If it does loss heat and the how?
Thanks!
Radiation.

Likes davenn
I don't think it does. Heat loss requires something for the energy to transfer too.

BL4CKB0X97 said:
I don't think it does. Heat loss requires something for the energy to transfer too.

The light radiation streaming out in all directions carries energy away as @russ_watters said. Where the light goes to is irrelevant to the body.

Likes davenn and russ_watters
anorlunda said:
The light radiation streaming out in all directions carries energy away as @russ_watters said. Where the light goes to is irrelevant to the body.
Face palm

Forgot about light

BL4CKB0X97 said:
Face palm

Forgot about light
We can't forget about light(EM radiation) and still answer your question.

russ_watters said:
We can't forget about light(EM radiation) and still answer your question.
I didn't ask a question. I said I forgot about Em when I replied. Completely slipped my mind. Did you mean his question?

Actually there is one case where you can forget about light. Dark mattter.

Dark matter does not emit light. Dark matter near a galaxy does not cool down, nor does it transfer heat to regular matter.

But if the OP question is about ordinary matter rather than dark matter, the answer radiation stands.

Likes BL4CKB0X97
BL4CKB0X97 said:
I didn't ask a question. I said I forgot about Email when I replied. Completely slipped my mind. Did you mean his question?
Sorry, misread forget for forgot and forgot who was who...

Likes BL4CKB0X97
russ_watters said:
Sorry, misread forget for forgot and forgot who was who...
No problem. My autocorrect changed Em to email. Just not my day, I think.

Likes russ_watters
anorlunda said:
Actually there is one case where you can forget about light. Dark mattter.

Dark matter does not emit light. Dark matter near a galaxy does not cool down, nor does it transfer heat to regular matter.

But if the OP question is about ordinary matter rather than dark matter, the answer radiation stands.
Hah, totally what I meant.

xD

But where the light come from

Quantum Velocity said:
But if there is no light around the object

The more energy something has, the more photons it releases. Like fire, which is effectively really hot air, so hot it is red. Hence Red Hot.

Quantum Velocity said:
But where the light come from

BL4CKB0X97 said:
The more energy something has, the more photons it releases. Like fire, which is effectively really hot air, so hot it is red. Hence Red Hot.
lets be really clear here
anorlunda said ...

anorlunda said:

light radiation --- probably not the best choice of words as to the unwary that may mean specifically visible light
as @BL4CKB0X97 's response came back with

Everything above 0K emits infrared radiation ... you, me, everything, but we sure don't radiate heat as visible light
only when the object gets to a certain temperature will it start emitting visible light as wellD

davenn said:
light radiation --- probably not the best choice of words as to the unwary that may mean specifically visible light
as @BL4CKB0X97 's response came back with

Everything above 0K emits infrared radiation ... you, me, everything, but we sure don't radiate heat as visible light
only when the object gets to a certain temperature will it start emitting visible light as well

Right @davenn . My choice of words was poor if the word "body" in the OP is a human body. But when I read it, I thought of a star as the body in space. @russ_watters one word answer "radiation" turns out to be most eloquent answer. :woot:

Likes davenn
Likes davenn
Drakkith said:
Thermal radiation (which includes light if the object is hot enough) is emitted from any object warmer than absolute zero: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_radiation

great minds think alike
thanks for the backup :smile:

davenn said:
great minds think alike
thanks for the backup :smile:

I do what I can. :-p

Likes davenn
Well thank all of you for helping me now i understand and found what I am looking for.
Thank you verry much!

Likes davenn

1. How does heat move in empty space?

Heat moves in empty space through a process called radiation. This involves the transfer of thermal energy through electromagnetic waves, such as infrared radiation.

2. Why does hot matter in empty space lose heat?

Hot matter in empty space loses heat because it radiates thermal energy in the form of electromagnetic waves. These waves carry thermal energy away from the hot matter, causing it to cool down.

3. How does the temperature of a substance affect the rate at which it cools down in empty space?

The temperature of a substance directly affects the rate at which it cools down in empty space. The higher the temperature, the more thermal energy is radiated and the faster it will cool down. As the substance cools down, the rate of heat loss also decreases.

4. Why does it take longer for larger objects to cool down in empty space?

Larger objects take longer to cool down in empty space because they have a larger mass and therefore, more thermal energy to lose. It takes more time for the thermal energy to radiate away from the larger object compared to a smaller object with less thermal energy.

5. Can objects cool down to absolute zero in empty space?

No, objects cannot cool down to absolute zero in empty space. This is because even in the emptiest regions of space, there is still some leftover radiation, known as the cosmic microwave background, which has a temperature of 2.7 Kelvin. This prevents objects from cooling down to absolute zero.